Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

98 Z28 diff fluid changed, makes noises

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Z28 diff fluid changed, makes noises

My wife took her car in for an oil change, and got the diff fluid changed after they showed her the old fluid, and said it needed to be changed.

Since then, there is a noise from the rear of the car at low speed when in gear. It only seems to happen when starting of stopping, doesn't seem to be related to turning. It's not a continous noise, it kind of sounds like something metal-on-metal is binding and then slipping.

They used "QS 75w90 Synquest Gear Lube" (QS->QuakerState?). I went back to ask them about LSD additive, they said it's included, and they always use the same fluid on everything. They opened the fill location, and it was full and looked clean.

Anyone know if QS 75w90 Synquest is okay?

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Teching In

I forgot to mention, the noise doesn't happen when the car is cold. After a short drive, if you stop and start, the noise is there.

Thanks,
Miles
Old 04-08-2004, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

They did the same **** to me, got the fluid changed in my 94, they said the additive is included, blah blah blah, as soon as i left it started making the same noises you describe, so i took it back and they were like whatever, so i took it to the dealer and paid a but load for them to just change the fluid and use the GM additive. No noise after that