Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Loud knocking when I shift gears and something hits floorboards - please help my DD!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud knocking when I shift gears and something hits floorboards - please help my DD!

It has been 3 weeks since this happened.. I was doing a pull down the hwy, and when i let off i heard something that sounded like a smaller piece of steel fall off and bounce around under my car, i felt it hit the floor boards and then ting away as i left it behind on the hwy... I thought i had maybe just run something over and it was just bouncing around underneath..

I kept cruising in 6th till my exit, when i shifted down to 5th, i heard a loud knock and it sounds like it hit right under my center console.. and again shifting to 4th, and shifting back up to 5th... and it would happen some times when i hit bumps...

I have had no extra money so Ive been riding the bike everywhere for the past 3 weeks (thank god for decent weather) and I finally just went out and started the old girl, started right up after 3 weeks of neglection and i let it warm up a bit, and took it half way up the street... didnt knock once through first, i shifted lightly into second and i felt the same feeling, that knock and it felt like it hit right under my center console..

now it doesnt feel like its doing anything but knocking, i dont lose any power in the driveline when it knocks, but i just dont want anything worse to happen.

Every time I am WOT i get a bad vibration through the car, maybe driveshaft out of balance?

and i was thinking maybe this was a tranny mount that broke? I dont know, I plan on taking it to a shop for them to deal with on tuesday, but I figured Id get my first opinion from you guys

If its something easy ill just take it to my grandfathers hoist and fix it.. if its anything diff/tranny related, the car is gonna be sitting for a while again...

Please guys any help is much much appreciated.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

it sounds like a tranny mount to me, ive broken 2 on different cars of them same issues. that would be my guess at it
Old 08-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Teching In

sounds like a trans mount to me. I broke mine and had the same problem. I also had a bolt back out on my torque arm after I replaced the stock one with a BMR and it did the same thing. Doesn't sound serious, just need to jack up the car and look under it.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

ya thanks guys, i posted in the manual transmission section and was suggested that it was something to do with the torque arm... ill be checking it out for sure this week..

if it was the trans mount that broke, what kind of $$ am i looking at to replace it?

and if the bolt backed out on the torque arm all ill need is another bolt to go back in so that shouldnt be a problem..

thanks again guys
Old 08-05-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

If its the tranny mount, they arn't much. But I would spend a little extra and get a poly one.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

Just took it to a shop, the torque arm bolt came right out of the top which is what flung off the car on the hwy and apparently left the hole stripped out. He quoted me at 150 bucks to retap the hole and put a new bolt in cause the have to drop the back half of the tranny.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-07-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy an Spohn Adjustable Torque Arm with the relocation mount on the tranny cross brace. Get the one with the safety loop for the drive shaft.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um, what? Mine has 3 bolts and 3 nuts. The holes in the tailshaft are not threaded. Dropping the back of the trans requires removal of 4 bolts fyi. Recommend you do it yourself, just need a long *** bolt and nut.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Specifically that bolt is m10x1.5x130. Has a smooth washer on the bolt head and a self locking nut. Need to drop the trans crossmember and push the sombitch sideways to get the bolt in, but it's possible, barely. Should be able to leave the driveshaft and everything else installed.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Oh, not sure of you experience so forgive me, you need to support the trans and lower it after removing the crossmember bolts.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

(remove/undo the bellowed duct from between the lid and MAF before you lower the the rear of the trans)
Old 08-07-2012, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the input guys, shes all done and back screamin on the road again... thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Loud knocking when I shift gears and something hits floorboards - please help my DD!