Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

loud noise like a singing coming from my rear end

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud noise like a singing coming from my rear end

i just got 4.10 gears put in my z28 camaro that has a six speed , i got aftermarket gears put in it they are auburn gears, there is however a loud noise sounds like a woooooooohhhhhhh high pitch noise that starts around twenty five miles an hour and gets worse all the way to seventy five eighty where the noise is so high pitch you can drown it out with the radio, at fifty to sixty miles an hour it is louder then my radio at almost full blast, talked to the guy who installed them and he said that it is normal for them to make noise and that even auburn said they would do it.... i'm bringing the car in tommorrow to have him reshim it so i was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem and if so tell me about it cause if this is normal that sound is so freaking loud it drive me crazy at a steady speed....thanks guys
Old 04-06-2004, 02:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

I really don't think they are supposed to scream. I would bet the install is not exactly right. My Motives whined a little from the get-go, but I have run them hard so they whine a bit more now with 15k miles on them. But they haven't started screaming like that. If they don't get it corrected right now, they will whine forever once you put some miles on them.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Launching!

If they don't get it corrected right now, they will whine forever once you put some miles on them.
I would have to agree. If they are making that much noise, something is not right. They will make a little noise, but not enough to drown out your radio. I would have the guy reshim them, and see if that fixes it. Also make sure he is using new shims, or that he didnt bend the old ones when he installed it. Their kinda tricky like that.

Nakoz