Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Wheels hard to spin. drives but whines and pops

Old 08-25-2012, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheels hard to spin. drives but whines and pops

updated

Car: 98 trans am 3:42 posi rear, 4l60e, ls1

So, I tore my rear axle apart think the bears were bad only to find that they are in good shape. Now, the cover is off there is normal wear. nothing standing out that I can see. But, when you turn the axles, it's rough and it stops after half a rotation or so, then give it some force and it'll rotate some more, again, rough.

When you spin one side while in neutral it doesn;t spin the ring gear, it catches and releases it. as to, I spin it, it gets rough then it'll catch the ring gear, from the axle, and then let go and keep spinning frely until it catches the ring gear again. I was told something was up with my clutches? a while ago when I got it looked at and he told me (an old shop guy with many years under his belt) to find an empty parking lot and do a bunch of figure eights as fast as I could so it the clutches would catch...... I need help, I am differential stupid

When I am driving the car: I put it into gear and clunks. gas it and it makes a popping sound. high speeds it vibrates. and whines really bad.

When I put it into Neutral the whining and vibration continues, it is rough rotating axles and whining from the pass. rear, also when I hit a bump It sounds like a pot hole when I go over reflectors on the pass side only. Took the axles out and there are different axles? normal.

Any advice would be nice.

Last edited by CS2 Sasuke XD; 08-25-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

Spun the driveshaft while in Neutral, it is also kinda hard to turn and very hard to turn in reverse. car does shake when in reverse. anything?
Old 08-25-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try disconnecting your drive shaft, see if the rear end turns easily then. If yes its in your transmission.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:19 PM
10 Second Club

Will do, took apart the other rear axle I have and the axles match the driver side. the passenger side of the one in the car had a leaking axle bearing seal and is an odd ball spline axle compared to the rest.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

drove it after putting it back together, same issue after bearing seals, and swapping the axle for one that matches. vibrates, whines. I am thinking either ring and pinion, inner bearings, or a blank I am drawing because it all means more money.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:18 PM
10 Second Club

no one?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheels hard to spin. drives but whines and pops