Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 Bolt ABS Ring Install HELP

Old 08-29-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 10 Bolt ABS Ring Install HELP

So I got a good deal on a 10 bolt with 4.10s and an Eaton posi. The rear end needs the ABS ring installed though. I have the axles out, backing plates off, etc. etc. Now after I remove the 4 bolts that hold the bearings in place, I can just remove the whole center section? Also, after that is out, can I just put the ABS ring onto the carrier, or do I have to remove the ring from the carrier and then install the ABS ring? If I have to remove the ring from the carrier, can I reuse those bolts? Please give me as much advice as possible on this, need the car done soon and this is my first time tearing into a rear. Not planning on touching the pinion so the spacing should not be off at all. Also planning on making sure all the shims go back into the proper place once I remove the whole center section.

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have added an ABS ring on a carrier on my car one time.
Once you take the caps off that hold on the carrier bearings you can work the carrier out of the housing. Make sure you don't mix your shims up, left ones stay on the left, right ones stay on the right. You do not have to remove the ring gear, but when I did it the ring gear wouldn't go on so I had to put the carrier in the freezer and ABS ring in the oven for a little while and it fit. Just be careful putting on it on and don't force it!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used about 4 mini c clamps to "press" on my abs ring to a new diff.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SladeX
I used about 4 mini c clamps to "press" on my abs ring to a new diff.
that' actually a really good idea! When i did mine it was a PITA, but next time i'll remember this

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10 Bolt ABS Ring Install HELP