Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

whining noise from rear end help

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whining noise from rear end help

I just registered but i browse this forum often, i looked around but didn't see anything matching exactly what i have to i figured i'd post.

I have an 02 SS 6M, 39k miles, this noise just started about a week ago, as soon as the car is moving i hear this whining noise from the rear end, it's louder at deceleration and happens at all speeds.

My friends tell me it could just be a bad bearing, others say i may need a new rear end, i'm obviously hoping for a bad bearing but before i bring it to a mechanic I'd like to get some opinions/experience from others. I can fix some things on the car but diagnosing is not something I'm comfortable with.

Worse case scenario, if it's the rear end, how much should I expect to pay? It seems like it's just unbolting a bunch of stuff and re installing a new one, I could do that on my own unless it means putting gears together, then I definitely can't do that.

I'm not going to have a ton of more HP on this car, I'd like to eventually just do a cam swap, is it worth it to buy a heavy duty rear end? or just replace with a stock one?

thanks for any help.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

I would have gears and new bearing kit installed. It cost a decent chunk for a built 12 bolt or 9" unless you want over 50-100 more hp Inwould just cheaply rebuild. Only cost 150 out of car and 250 in car for gear set up install around me. GL
Old 09-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by projectX
I would have gears and new bearing kit installed. It cost a decent chunk for a built 12 bolt or 9" unless you want over 50-100 more hp Inwould just cheaply rebuild. Only cost 150 out of car and 250 in car for gear set up install around me. GL
That makes me feel so much better! I was just looking at rear ends and they are NOT cheap lol.

This is such a noob question, but I'm not a mechanic, I dont understand rear ends, if it IS the rear end i can just get new gears? rather than having to change the whole rear end that goes from the brakes to the differential housing then?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you're not going to repair this yourself, take it to a competent shop that specializes in rear end repairs and let them have a look. You may just have a bad pinion bearing. Don't just keep driving it or it will get worse and more expensive to repair.

Al 95 Z28
Old 09-06-2012, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

^^^ What he said.

It may be a simple bearing replacement at this point. Just bring it to a reputable shop and let them diagnose it, provide an estimate and repair it. Done. Simple and stress free.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Big Al
Since you're not going to repair this yourself, take it to a competent shop that specializes in rear end repairs and let them have a look. You may just have a bad pinion bearing. Don't just keep driving it or it will get worse and more expensive to repair.

Al 95 Z28
Thanks for your help guys. I'm dropping it off at a chevy dealership, not my number one choice, I feel like those guys will just say 'blown rear end' and rip me off. But I'm stationed in Enterprise Alabama, I googled to try to find a shop but cant find anything. I'll keep looking, depending on what these guys tell me.
thank you.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, sounds like it could be a pinion bearing or a diff problem. axle bearings usually sound about the same all the time and worse the faster you go. im not a mechanic but i usually do lots of research and question asking and just fix my own crap since i dont have the money to pay somone to do it. ive done a broken axle, bad axle bearing 2X , broken ring and pinion, and smoked spider gears in the diff. ive done a complete rebuild with all the bearings (HUGE PITA) seems you have to use tourches to heat stuff up to get most bearing out... not too hard to pull the diff and do gears just need a impact some hand tools and a magnet mount dial indicator. setting up a new diff can take some time getting the gears lined up properly (messing with shims and useing marking compound on the teeth) if you do tear into it just make sure to keep all the shims and bolts in the correct side hope that helps.. i tend to ramble lol
Old 09-08-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you mite find a used 10 bolt rear for $200 .
Old 09-08-2012, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

Look around the classifieds i found a used 10 bolt for 50 bucks bought it just to have as a backup just make sure the one you buy is set up for your car 3 channel for abs only or 4 channel if you have traction control so everything goes smoothly. I wouldnt necessarily be worried about the dealership screwing you by just telling you you need a new rear end as much as i would that irs gonna cost you $125to an hour for every minute it takes to determine that and repair it. You may be surprised how close you couldve come to putting a 9" 12 bolt or s60 after the deslership gets done
Old 09-08-2012, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nomasterase
Look around the classifieds i found a used 10 bolt for 50 bucks bought it just to have as a backup just make sure the one you buy is set up for your car 3 channel for abs only or 4 channel if you have traction control so everything goes smoothly. I wouldnt necessarily be worried about the dealership screwing you by just telling you you need a new rear end as much as i would that irs gonna cost you $125to an hour for every minute it takes to determine that and repair it. You may be surprised how close you couldve come to putting a 9" 12 bolt or s60 after the deslership gets done
What he said is spot on! Make sure you get a thorough quote from the Stealership!

Quick Reply: whining noise from rear end help