Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

MWC 9" or a S60... I want gears as close to 4.42's as possible and a rear end good up to 800-1000 hp/ft-lbs. I don't plan on making more than 600-700, but the extra durability is nice. I find the wavetrac interesting. I want this car to be a daily driver as there are no racetracks near me, but if there was I would take it there every so often
Old 11-16-2012, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Copied this from the midwest thread...

I used to be a big ford guy, so I had some of the 8.8 stuff already. There used to be a sponsor out of Texas that was building them, extreme chassis. This was like 8 years ago. So needless to say, I sent him a ton of money and lots of parts (strange is like 20 mins from my house). The guy fell off the face of the planet and ended up ******* a ton of people over.

Lesson learned, When I buy something for thousands of dollars, I will do it in person or from a proven vendor.

So I never really even got to try the 8.8. In hind sight, knowing what I know now, It prob would not have worked that great. At the time and even currently my car is pretty heavy. So I don't think it would of held up good.

We have done a lot of damage to 8.8's in mustangs that didn't even make a lot of power.

So I got a great deal for a S60 through Speed inc when they first came out.

It was HEAVY as hell. I drove it like a mile and it locks up on me. I take it out and take it to strange. They give me the run around and pretty much told me $500 to fix it. one of the bearings went out, they said not enough oil was in it, which was bs, because I had more then they suggest using. Ended up just fixing it my self.

So now I have it all fixed and working good. But I needed a new torque arm and also wanted an anti-roll bar. That was going to be like $1,000.00.

Right around this time the MWC stuff came out and he was doing a pretty good deal on them. So either I spend the cash on the torque arm and ARB, so i sell the 60 and get a lighter and stronger rearend that came with a torque arm and ARB.

So I sell the S60 to a friend for 2k. He goes to swap the gear in it and all the splines on one of the axles are bent. It was a 35 spline axle with like 10 to 15 passes on it.

So I took it to strange and at least they warrantied it, said they tested the metal and it was soft.

My current 9" is 40 splines, alum. center section, etc... I built the **** out of it so I never had to worry about it again. Parts are easy to find and get for it. Most people use the 9" for drag racing. The rearend ended up being lighter then my stock 10 bolt.

I knew the plan was to go turbo later, So I asked for a dual caliper setup. He built a custom bracket for me and did it for a steal. I believe my rearend was the first one he did a dual caliper on. Whenever there is something you want, he finds a way to do it.

When I bought the rear, I had Eric do a cage for me too. So when he installed it all, I didn't even have wheels that would fit (had the rear narrowed and 5/8 studs installed). He gave me a set of wheels to use. Let me take them home and I gave them back like 2 months later. Keep in mind I had never dealt with Eric before, and he just barrows me a $1,000.00 wheel setup so I can get my car home.

Eric is a stand up guy and stands behind his work.

I didn't like a bracket used on my window next, he changed it to setup i wanted for free.

I wanted to use all the MWC stuff, so I took off another vendors lower control arms and sold them. But one of the ends got all rusted and needed to be replaced. Eric sent me a new end for free so I could sell them! Keep in mind they weren't even his product!

Another great thing about Eric is he goes to the track all the time. You don't see many vendors out there and help clients @ the track. I know he has helped guys out with susp adjusting when they don't even have a single susp. part from his shop.

the down side to him going to the track a lot is his lead time can suck at times.

But everything is custom built by hand, quality it top notch, and his prices are great.

hope that helps some!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just go with a 9"
Old 11-16-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Read through this thread might help you out ALOT!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...y-project.html

Quick Reply: Help