Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana
View Poll Results: M6 gear size?
33.33%
44.44%
11.11%
other
11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

rear end brands

Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end brands

i was reading through tons of posts on rear end sizes for a M6. 3.9 or 4.1 seems to be what it's all about. now on most I've heard u have to shave the end of the paddle down, but on some brands such as Motive the gears will allow for the clearance so that there's no grinding involved this seems like an optimal way to go assuming that Motive gears are not pieces of ****. Also whats a good shop online or brand specific list to acquire sleeve, seals, bearings shims etc. to go along with the gear/pinion change or is there a box set that you can buy from a company i'm missing.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't help on the paddle, but if you don't want to do that little bit of grinding you need to pay someone else to do the job. Clearancing the paddle with your teeth will be 5x easier than the install.

Get a ratech master rebuild kit and make sure your new axle bearings look just like the old ones when you get it. If you are doing it yourself spend $4 extra to make sure you get some real gear paint...even if the kit supposedly includes it. Motives are good gears btw. You can search for my threads in here if you want to find out about nearly every problem you can have doing the job.

I could do it a lot easier now...but it's not a lot of fun.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

All 4.10s including Motives require grinding the paddle. It only takes a couple of minutes. A flap disc on a 4 1/2 inch grinder works really well. I usually buy Ratech rebuild kits from Summit. All 4th gen f-bodies will use the same kits, regardless of what the years say. There was a seal change in 2001. Very early 01 and before got the old style, mid 01 and later got the later style. Ratech kits include the older pinion seal, but everything else is identical.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sweet

sounds good no problems just wondering for ease.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear end brands