Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Narrowed 46in ford 9" ?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Narrowed 46in ford 9" ?

I found a great deal on a ford 9" rear end but know just about zip on fabing of a rear end. Question is would I need to be tubed to run this rear end? I searched and came up with that a stock 10 bolt is 61" is that correct? If so this is way to short for my car. Is it possible to get this rear end and have it fabed to longer length? Worth it? It comes with 4.56 gears/disc brakes/ axles....etc everything ready to go for $500
Old 09-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Launching!

He also has another one plain Jane with drum breaks for $150. He's not sure what it's out of though or what gears it has. Is it possible to put my disc breaks on this one. Which route would you guys take?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck with all that!

When you get tired of messing with it and want to spend your money wisely give me a call and I can lead you in the right direction the first time.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Launching!

I think that's why I'm posting and put I know zip about rear ends. I realize I can buy a bolt in for $2000+. Do people not use ford 9" in f bodies? A buddy of mine just bought a 9" for $400 with 3.73 or equivelant. Spent $400 in fab work including narrowing and put it in a truck hes building. $800 dollars later he's got a ford 9" to replace his stock 10 bolt. Seems pretty wise to me. Could this not be true for an F body? The rear end I'm looking at is not the end all be all in rear ends just looking for different options. Sorry I'm not as wise as some. If you want to help instead of insult fire away. But I'm not looking for a sales pitch

Last edited by lt1_2buku; 09-26-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not a good idea on eather,locate a used the rite width, or do as SSvert99 suggests
( unless you are a GOOD welder/fabup, my son did one , but he has did this 30 years and his came out strighter than my 9" store bought)
most ppl who upgrade go 9" , 12 bolt. s60, in this order
just my .02
Johnny
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Launching!

^^^^thanks SS That's the kind of information I was looking for. Much appreciated.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not trying to insult in any way.... I've been there, done that- over all these years of building cars, and a whole lot of f-bodys. If it was as easy as just getting a salvage or used 9 from someone that has all the components in it then the aftermarket would be non-existent. Basically what I'm saying if it were that easy everyone would be doing it. There's a lot more to these torque arm rearends than meets the eye.

If you can get a used housing for cheap then fine. Then have it blasted, cut off and grind down the old bracketry, cut it to the proper length and pinion offset, fabricate or install new brackets(or used ones...ugh), fabricate a torque arm mount strong enough to not fold up and still clear the floor(and guess what.. your oem type(even aftermarket) torque arm will hit the driveshaft tunnel no matter what), obtain a housing fixture to ensure the housing ends are welded on straight, purchase new housing ends that will accept your existing brakes, and at the end of the day hope like hell you got it right.
You will need to purchase new axles regardless... the bearings will have to be replaced, the spline count may not be right(usually 28), the bolt pattern will not be right, the flange OD will need to be reduced to work with your brakes, and the register will most likely be too large and need to be turned down as well. So when you get the 300$ machining bill for the axle mods you will kick yourself in the *** as you realize you put that money into a set of axes that are still weak when you could buy a set of Strange axles for under 400.00 that is new, correct, and as strong as it gets.

In the end if you have the time, the tools, the knowledge, and the skill to do all the work required, then knock yourself out... I'm sure you may save a few bucks. Keep in mind you will still need a set of axles and most likely a complete new or mostly new center section assy as the oem Ford parts are not that good. Feel free to cal or email me if you need specific info or pricing on anything from Strange or Moser. Guaranteed best deal and the experience to back it all up.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Will do if I decide to go that route. Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Narrowed 46in ford 9" ?