Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need some ideas (without a lift) 9"

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:03 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need some ideas (without a lift) 9"

Having some issues getting the center section back in the housing after switching gears. What are some ideas? I have tried using a floor jack, but I really need a bigger base plate on the jack. The torque arm is out the drive shaft is out exhaust is moved, but man cant keep it stable and rotate it to line up with the studs on the housing.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

Assuming you are on stands on the subframes and not the axle, maybe you can jack on the axle and/or pull the springs to give you some flexibility with the housing.

I set my transmission on my chest and put it in by maneuvering on my creeper...but that was a stupid thing to do cause I'm not a big guy and was d close to suffocation by the time I got it off me. Anyway, if you feel lucky and are the right size the chunk is a lot lighter.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I let the axle hang as low as it will go then put the center section on my creeper and slide in along side it. Once under the car I just lift it up there and get it started on the studs. After that it usually takes some hits with a dead blow to get on seated all the way down.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with therabidweasel. If you have the car up on stands, drop your axle until its hanging from the shocks. You should have the space you need. If not, pull your shock bolts ( with jack under axle.) and drop it down even more. Watch your brake line though.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:34 AM
10 Second Fun Car

Well, we made a bigger base plate for the jack and simply just raised it up and then pushed it on. Went well. Got the axles, exhaust, and drive shaft back on. Filled it up with fluid just got the brakes and torque arm left.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just use a little bit of some M A N and pick it up and put it in.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:18 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
I just use a little bit of some M A N and pick it up and put it in.
If there is anything the safety training has taught me at work was to stop and think. All the possibilities of dropping it on your head, body, etc. Didnt really seem like a good idea, I have to be honest it did cross my mind and I had picked it up several times for the gear change when it was not under the car. In the end no doctor bills or aches or pains and the gears are in.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlrz28
If there is anything the safety training has taught me at work was to stop and think. All the possibilities of dropping it on your head, body, etc. Didnt really seem like a good idea, I have to be honest it did cross my mind and I had picked it up several times for the gear change when it was not under the car. In the end no doctor bills or aches or pains and the gears are in.
WINNING.........

congrats,it can be a biyatch on the ground.

we changed out my old strange case to a yukon bolt thru case.
the yukon was so big it did not fit in the hole in the rear end....
where we just pulled the strange out of......

all i had was a grinder to open up the hole a bit to get it to fit.

Quick Reply: Need some ideas (without a lift) 9"