Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

s60 question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default s60 question

pls dont flame me if this is a dumb question ,,,,i just installed my new s60 and am puzzled about something,,,,,
with the rear off the ground and car in park both wheels turn freely without the shaft turning
maybe its something with the new unit versus the 10 bolt unit but i know as long as the car is in park or at least not neutral the wheels wouldnt turn but now they do....is this normal
the car seems to move just fine with the new rear but this just seems odd to me
Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it may be because your old 10 bolt had a clutch pack differential which i believe causes what you noticed. with the true trac or strac differential it's a gear type differential that will act like an open diff when unloaded so it is normal to do what you described. if you put one wheel on the ground then if you turn the other wheel you will either turn the pinion yoke and driveshaft if in neutral, or not be able to turn the wheel if transmission is in park or in gear.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ty for the reply,,,,,,i figured it is how it is supposed to be since it seems to be driving just fine.......just didnt remember ever having a rear do this b4 so was just a little stumped

Quick Reply: s60 question