Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Just upgraded to S60

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just upgraded to S60

Had an S60 and chromoly driveshaft ordered and installed by Speed Inc. Only small hic-up is that Strange forgot to put in the ABS ring (apparently a common issue from what I've read...), so I'm stuck without for another few days. Being careful until then, as the 4.10 gears make me take off like a demon (relative to the breaking stock 10 bolt) and I'm still too inexperienced to be comfortable without ABS.

I can't wait to get it all broken in and stretch it's legs. This is my first significant mod. I'll add my impressions once I do so to this.

BTW: car is a 2002 z28 camaro m6, only added a Volant CAI and this new drivetrain so far.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

I'm wondering what there is to replace the stock 10 bolt I've searched and can't find results.

Last edited by Sickness7; 12-01-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'Thias that sucks about the ABS reluctor wheels.

Sickness I replaced my 10 bolt with a S60 recently and there is a Michigan F body forum that came up when I searched. They install a 12 bolt in that thread but it all pretty much applies. Just go slow and take lots of pics during the removal process in case you need a reference while putting in the Dana.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

I ordered my S60 without ABS. I thought about it, I have never actually hit my brakes hard enough to where ABS kicks in, I never drive my car in rain, with ABS delete and line lock kit I can lighten the front end up some, and it's cheaper to buy the rear without ABS. I love it.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Teching In

One day, when this becomes a dedicated racer, I'll delete the ABS. However, right now it's a DD, and winter is coming in Chicago...

While reading this site and others, looking for insight into how a new rear would affect me (admittedly, a rookie to manual vehicles), I could find very little. So, here are some thoughts, from one newb to others, on switching to 4.10's and an S60:

More aggressive pickup in 1st. I've started skipping it altogether in traffic or city driving and starting in 2nd, skipping to 5th once at cruising speed.

Gas mileage on the highway took a big hit, but using higher gearing in the city compensated. Fortunately my morning commute is side streets, so it won't kill me too much.

The s60 feels meatier...bigger... I didn't totally understand what this meant until I got one and drove it. It feels so much more solid under aggressive acceleration and takeoff. I would recommend it to anyone.

More to come later this week, I'm taking it on a road trip to Milwaukee, and the ABS should be functional again soon (got a new posi unit WITH the ring this time). Once it's broken in I'll stretch it's legs and continue posting my impressions.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice. The S60 is a bit much for a dd, but it will handle anything on future build. I have a spooled S60, and as far as efficiency, the car still put down as much power as it did with the stock 10 bolt.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 'Thias
The s60 feels meatier...bigger... I didn't totally understand what this meant until I got one and drove it. It feels so much more solid under aggressive acceleration and takeoff. I would recommend it to anyone.
Try picking one up. I could carry the 10 bolt from the garage to the backyard (about a 30 yard trek) but the 60 was something I could lift but not maneuver around. The housing is stout.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BOLO
Very nice. The S60 is a bit much for a dd, but it will handle anything on future build. I have a spooled S60, and as far as efficiency, the car still put down as much power as it did with the stock 10 bolt.
Hopefully in like 3 years it won't be a DD anymore, but I lack resources to purchase a separate DD AND get this race-ready. Once I lower it, then it enters the race-only mode (stupid Chicago side streets and their speed bumps and pot holes...)

Quick Reply: Just upgraded to S60