Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

79 10 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 10 bolt

So our stock 10 bolts are a 7.5, in 79 the 10 bolt was a 8.5. Would this be another alternative like the ford 8.8? I have a 79 Camaro parts car sitting at my parents and was wondering if it would be a good route to take for some added strength out back. I'm an auto so I get a little more breathing room and dont plan on going much beyond what I have now.

Thanks for any help/advice
Old 12-07-2012, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

Im pretty sure that rear is narrower, so you will need spacers or new rear wheels.
It will have drum brakes on it.
It has no torque arm mount.
And you will still have to swap all you brakets over and have them welded on.
Also you will have to delete your ABS.

Anyone can correct me if im wrong?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 8.5" rear will be 2" shorter, it is the same width as a 3rd gen rear.

You can cut your axle tubes off as done with most 8.8 swaps then use axles that have reluctor rings for 4 channel ABS.

You will need to fabricate your own tq arm mount which can be done after the rearend is ready to bolt in. 1/2-1" will need to be cut from your driveshaft since the housing snout is longer. Your brakes will mount up like stock.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

So after all that I'll be just a few hundred short of buying a 12 bolt? If so there isn't any point i might as well just buy a new one
Old 12-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Launching!

Swapping in an axle from any other car is a bit of specialized work. Almost all options involve welding the housing ends on and that requires an alignment bar. If you find one the correct width, welding your suspension brackets onto the housing can cause the housing to distort. Fabricating a torque arm bracket is mildly difficult. Not the most difficult task, but involves special tools and skills. Not something to tackle w/ a HF welding machine and twenty minutes of practice. Considering the effort necessary, why start w/ a mediocre axle like the 10 bolt found in the 2nd gen? Building an axle is cheaper if you have the skills and tools to build it yourself. If you have to pay someone to do the work, you might as well buy a complete axle and skip the headache.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

Tools aren't a problem, and if it's something I can't do or dont feel comfortable doing I have buddies that can. My only concern is the torque arm mount. And as for the rear of choice is I already have one so that will save me a good chunk of change. So why spend 2500+ on a new one when I can build this one for half that? It seems to be the best route money wise and with it being just shy of a 12 bolt I think it will be a good choice. I'm an auto so I don't need a 1000 hp rearend hell I'll probably never break 600 hp so why sink that much money into a rear
Old 12-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

So, what did you decide? Using the 10 bolt?
Old 12-20-2012, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

I dont think so, I have been busy dealing with stupid transmission problems and haven't done to much thinking on it. But my wife gave me the ok to start turning it into the drag car which means I might be forced to go with a 9". Some have said that even at 600ish hp I could still blow this rearend on a hard launch. So as of now it's a no go unless something shows me the way to making it hold up without surpassing the price of a 9".

Quick Reply: 79 10 bolt