Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How Do I Center My Rear End?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do I Center My Rear End?

Anyone by chance know how to center the rear end? I've got a hotchkis double adjustable panhard bar but I personally don't know how to move the rear end from right(passenger side) to left(driver side). Oh ya something I probably forgot to mention.... I'm lowered. Is this a big deal? I'm on some Ebach springs but idk how low they are. Everyone says its really low. Look at my pics and let me know if it's too low or what OTHER mods I might have to do to compensate the lowering kit. I'm needing to do this to fit some OEC ZR-1s w/a 315/35zr17 555R.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, the easiest way is to back the car up on a set of ramps, leave car in gear and set parking brake. Then loosen both Jam-nuts on you phb and rotate the phb to make it longer until the driverside tire is a little bit closer to the fender then the passenger side is (about 1/8"). Now put some loctite on the threads behind the jam-nut, thread the jam-nuts over the loctite and tighten down the jam-nuts really good!
Your done!
If you haven't done so already get the fender lips rolled so you don't have to worry about ever cutting the tire side walls.
You'll also want to do the BFH mod on the inner wheel well. and probably clearance the rear bumpstops & mounts.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 12-11-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Teching In

^ Simple... As long as you know what he is talking about.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

What don't you understand?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, the easiest way is to back the car up on a set of ramps, leave car in gear and set parking brake. Then loosen both Jam-nuts on you phb and rotate the phb to make it longer until the driverside tire is a little bit closer to the fender then the passenger side is (about 1/8"). Now put some loctite on the threads behind the jam-nut, thread the jam-nuts over the loctite and tighten down the jam-nuts really good!
Your done!
If you haven't done so already get the fender lips rolled so you don't have to worry about ever cutting the tire side walls.
Ok cool, sounds simple enough. The car is sitting on a lift in the shop right now so I'm assuming that is as good if not better than it being backed up onto some ramps. I'll stop by the shop tomorrow and try to get everything where it needs to be.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You want the suspension loaded when doing the adjustment (easier to see what the final result will be). If it is on a drive-on 4 post lift that's fine. If it is a 2 post lift then it won't tell you a whole lot.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
You want the suspension loaded when doing the adjustment (easier to see what the final result will be). If it is on a drive-on 4 post lift that's fine. If it is a 2 post lift then it won't tell you a whole lot.
It's not on a drive on lift but, should i still go ahead and attempt to center it?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't center it while the suspension is unloaded, otherwise when you do load it the axle will swing over and be really out of whack. The panhard bar operates in an arc so the axle moves side-to-side a bit.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Don't center it while the suspension is unloaded, otherwise when you do load it the axle will swing over and be really out of whack. The panhard bar operates in an arc so the axle moves side-to-side a bit.
AAHHHH........ I see...Alright well ill just lower the car without the wheels on with a jack underneath the pumpkin once its done being worked on? Yes???
Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, you want the suspension loaded at ride height. All I used to check the side-to-side gap is my eyes, fingers and square. It'll be easier to do it with the wheels on the car.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Yeah, you want the suspension loaded at ride height. All I used to check the side-to-side gap is my eyes, fingers and square. It'll be easier to do it with the wheels on the car.
Ok cool. Ill be sure to wait and do that instead.

Thanks

Quick Reply: How Do I Center My Rear End?