Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pitted axle... how bad is too bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pitted axle... how bad is too bad?

So I bought this WS6 about 2 months ago and finally found a 10 bolt to replace the worn out original pos but it's a 3 channel when I really needed a 4 channel. I figured I will just transfer the original axles to the spare rear end but the axles are in horrible shape. Pass side wasn't too bad but the drivers side looks like it got really hot and I don't think I can run it. There are axle savers or repair bearings out there but I feel they are just a patch at best.

Now the 3 channel axles looks fine so if I ran those instead... the only issue I will have is an ABS light and no ABS right? I'd buy new axles but while trying to buy a new house... there's just no way I can swing that right now. I really don't care if the ABS doesn't work as I rarely drive the car anyway. What would you guys do... run the bad axles on good bearings for ABS, run axle saver bearings or just run the 3 channel and do without ABS for a while?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Launching!

And one more question...

The 3 channel is out of an LT1 car so I still need to swap the backing plates for my LS1 brakes if I use the 3 channel axles... right?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Axle saver bearings are garbage, you're right to not even bother with them. And any pitting on the axle will kill the bearings.

I see 2 problems with using the axles out of the 3 channel rear axle.

1) ABS non-functional. This could be remedied by removing the rings from the other axles and pressing them onto the 3 channel axles to make them 4.
2) Your wheels won't fit without modding the axles a bit. The LT rear axles had slightly bigger hubs so you'll need to carefully grind the hub a bit so your wheels will fit.

Yes, you'll want to swap backing plates as the LT1 rear brakes are different than the LS1 rear.

In your shoes I'd try swapping those reluctor rings over first. If that didn't work out, then run without ABS until getting a good replacement axle (9 inch or the likes).
Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Are you sure about pressing the rings onto the 3 channel axles?? I looked at them and they don't have the same profile so I didn't see how they would fit.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well the LT1 axles are a bit different so they may not fit and you may just have to forgo the ABS if you want to use this rear end but not get replacement axle shafts. I don't know all the differences on the LT1 axles, but I do know the hub center is a little larger and the brakes/backing plates are different.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

3 channel and 4 channel axles are different,you can't put a ring from a 4 channel axle onto a 3 channel axle.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh... gotcha. You can turn a 4 channel axle into a 3 channel by yanking that ring, but not vice versa.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the help guys. I will swap in the LT1 axles tonight and just run no ABS for a while.

But I do have one more question about the axle seals... Is it a problem that they sit recessed about 1/8" inside the axle tube? When I was installing them, I used a large socket instead of a block of wood and must have got a little too wild with the hammer. They don't sit in very far but not flush with the axle. I keep reading to set them flush but I don't see what the problem is with the way I installed them.

Quick Reply: Pitted axle... how bad is too bad?