Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help ASAP. Swapping rear end

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help ASAP. Swapping rear end

Does anyone have a list, step by step for changing your rear end. Just assume you are swapping a 10 bolt for another 10 bolt with a different ratio, both non-tcs. I will be re-using my current brake set up. 1998 Trans Am

Thanks
Old 04-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, ok i can quick try to give you a rundown.
1)put car in air properly and remove rims(duh)
2)remove brake calipers, two 15mm bolts on back side, remove rotors as well
2)disconect brake lines from rearend so calipers are out and away from car, also unplug the abs sensor and what not and remove the sensor from the backing plates if you are worried about breaking it(one 10mm bolt)
3)disconnect driveshaft and remove from car or let hang from trans
4)disconnect torque arm from rearend..also take out the panhard rod at this point as well.
5)at this point if you haven't done it put a floor jack under the diff and support the rearend
6) make sure at this point all brake lines are disconnected from axle housing etc so nothing rips out when you drop the rear
7)disconnect shock from the mount on rear, leave shock hanging from top mount in car
8)drop the rearend on the jack a bit until the point where you can get the springs out of there
9)hopefully you have a helper at this point, will make life much easier and safer..if you haven't dont thsi before i hightly recommend a buddy give you a hand once you reach this point
10)disconnect lower control arms from rearend, it will now be sitting on the jack ready to drop out..have your buddy hold one end of it to balance it on the jack while you drop the jack all the way down..roll the whole thing out from under the car carefully and then the two of you lift if up and off the jack.

To put the new one back in, basically reverse process..put it in place, connect LCA's to get it in the right place..lift it up a bit and put springs in and just do the steps backwards to put it all back together.

Then be sure to bleed your brakes properly..even though you only took the rear calipers off put the car in the air on evenly on 4 stands and bleed all 4 calipers..starting with the passenger rear as it is the farthest from the brake master.
if you need instruction on how to bleed brakes, post back and I will tell you.

Just take your time and be careful. Some choose to drain the rearend as well, but that 's up to you as long as you aren't removing the axles for anything the fluid will stay in there but you might want to empty it before starting the work..easiest way is to just lossen up the hex nuts on the diff cover and crack it loose and let it drain into something.

hope that helps

Quick Reply: Help ASAP. Swapping rear end