Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How hard is it to install wheel studs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How hard is it to install wheel studs?

I am going to get some wheel studs (harden and lengthen) for my new Bogart wheels. How hard are they to install. Anyone have any instructions from a site?
Old 04-16-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure about the front but you'll probably have to pull the front rotors off by removing the caliber first ( you'll need a big allen wrench, they'll be two bolts in each caliber, they go in from the back) then the dustcap that covers the wheelbearings and removing the cotterpin in the big nut then the washer and then the small bearing,the rotor should come off you should be able to knock the studs out with a large hammer hit them on the lugnut end.
For the rear you'll have to pull out the axles.you'll have to jack up the car be sure to put jackstands under the rear of the car.Take off rear tires ,then rear calibers,then remove cover on rearend (have pan under cover as fluid will come out)as you turn the differential you will see a small bolt thats holding a pin that goes thru the differential and between the two axles.Remove the small bolt use a 6 point socket, then remove the pin, it'll be about 3\4 x3.5 long. Then push each shaft in toward center of car,remove the c-clips off each axle(its on the inside of the axle right on the end )Now you can pull axles out(BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE SEALS INSIDE REAREND HOUSING) and knock out old studs and replace with new studs.Now put axles back in, put c-clip on one axle and slide it back toward outside of car,now do other side, now put pin back in,now the bolt, put a little loc-tite on it.You'll need a new gasket to replace rear cover .NOW REPLACE REAR CALIBERS,DON'T FORGET OIL IN REAREND!!!
Old 04-17-2004, 08:46 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Good reply Fastone, you are correct! Its alot of work to install longer studs.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not that bad.you can do it.I got long wheel studs on both cars front and back.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks NINEBALL,I just put a posi in a 8.5 10 bolt and a 12 bolt comes apart the same way,I beleive most guys could do it, just have to be patient with rearend part!!FASTONE