Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Replaced my axles now i hear a popping noise need help

Old 01-27-2013, 04:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replaced my axles now i hear a popping noise need help

alright so i replaced my axle saturday and now i hear a popping noise and feel it at low speeds 0-25 and i havent taken the car faster than that because i'm scared of breaking it again in the same configuration. any ideas what could be causing this?

i know its beat to death around here about not putting any money into a 10 bolt but for less than average joes like myself i cant afford to fork out 2K for a nice Moser when i please.

so all in all i want to make it run smooth again with a budget of 900 bones and saving money is not a option as i live paycheck to paycheck. of course its a unfortunate turn of events but i need my stock 10 bolt to run for daily driving as i'm putting my racing days aside.

could it be my spider gears?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:12 AM
TECH Resident

Probably better off just picking up a complete 10 bolt locally. Cheaper too.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

From your profile,you have a 99. 1999 had Torsen differentials and don't have 'spiders'.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Teching In

i had a similar noise in mine and it was the posi unit coming apart.the flat part that holds the springs in between the spider gears were coming apart
Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it only began with just replacing the axle id say c clip maybe. But those zt diffs like to lose bolts and you could have one rattling around in there. I just sold my auburn to a guy on here called zdiesel, so you might pm him about getting his torsen which is being replaced only because he wanted clutch type. But like was said earlier, a junkyard rear should be cheaper (and easier).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced my axles now i hear a popping noise need help