Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

sealant on moser 9" axle bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default sealant on moser 9" axle bearing?

I have a moser 9" but have had issues with gear oil leaking past the oring on both axle bearings. Are any of you using any sealant or anything on the o-ring to help prevent this? I've tried new o-rings from moser

Old 02-24-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i put a skim of rtv around the outer rim of the bearing and the wheel seal, 2000 miles and not a drop so far. I dont have the fancy o-ring gasket either...
Old 02-26-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/17025759-post15.html

Also, with NON-C-CLIP rear ends, and WITH SEALED bearings which I believe you have, you actually DO NOT WANT TO FILL THE REAR END UP to where it is coming out of the FRONT 9/16ths allen key (or whatever size it is at the front of the pumpkin).
you want it about 1/2 and inch to an 1 inch BELOW the hole.

you can also order seals from a company called Seals-it, here are a few pictures of their seals. they are installed where the axle tube meets the pumpkin and seal completely around the axle itself.
Pictures here:

I feel that the answer to the oil coming out of the axle tubes is due to people over filling them, as per MOSER instructions it simply states fill the pumpkin until it comes out of the front fill hole. HOWEVER, this is not necessary, as with it that FULL, fluid is basically just at the axle tube area and likely creeping down the axle tube without you even moving the car. Sealed bearings do not need lubrication, in the C-clipped rears they use bearings that are NOT sealed and require this lubrication.

So with installing these inner seals from Seals-It, and not filling the rear up all the way that will for certain stop the leaking. I however feel from my experience with all my BS with MOSER that simply leaving it 1/2" or 1" below that front hole will be significant enough to not leak anymore. However, being I don't want to deal with this crap anymore I'm taking all the steps I can to ensure no more leaks.

Last edited by ZL1Killa; 02-26-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i don't have the bearings with the o rings like yours, and i just used rtv around the inside of the axle housing, then i bought some inner axle seals from autozone part#51098 that your put inside of the axle tube and hasn't leaked a drop so far
Old 03-07-2013, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see rear seals in the housing end... were you using any or did you remove them?
Old 03-08-2013, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

those big sealed bearings don't aren't supposed to require seals but i always used them on the inside of the bearing for added insurance

Quick Reply: sealant on moser 9" axle bearing?