Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ford 9'' questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ford 9'' questions

So im building a 67 camaro with a 5.3 w/ turbo , 4l80e trans
Ive got most of those parts lined out for my build, and now im ready to tackle the rear end.
Ive got a 12 bolt now thats the stock length with 4.11 gears sitting on eaton posi posi n drum brakes.
Im going to be mini tubbing and putting in a XXXX ( not sure if they are a sponsor so name removed) 4 link setup.
So i was going to have to change the gears in the 12 bolt they are way to low for my forced induction , and i would have to have it narrowed and new axles cut , buy a 3 series carrier and ring gear bearing /install kit ect....
talking to the guy at XXXX he basically suggested their 9 in housing.
Its the correct length already and comes with axles.

Heres the thing , I dont know much at all about 9 inches , truth be told i had to ask what a third member was ( i know now ) because he said that wasnt included.

His price for a 9 in housing with just the axles to me seems kinda steep , and i dont know how strong the stock 9 in housing is either. I plan on seriously puttin 650 - 700 at the rear wheels so i need a rear that can handle that.

Im learning here so any advise you can give me is appreciated. Also I should add im not much of a welder so i have to pay a guy to do my fab work which is why i was looking into selling the 12 bolt and possibly going with the 9 in.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

basically what im asking here is the ford 9 in housing and 31 spline axles gonna hold my rear wheel torque n horsepower thru a a stalled 4l80.

car will see a few 1/4 track passes but not many , mostly this car is gonna be a pro touring car.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The two main 9" players are moser and mwc. I went mwc because I wanted a watts link. Brute speed is the moser vendor and theyre very helpful with fast shipping, mwc more customizable. I think 31 spline anything is a little light for that hp, but you can go bigger no problem, and if you dont run slicks and with an auto itll probably be fine. 9" especially a fabricated 9 are about as strong as it gets. They eat hp but are easier to set up and way stronger than pretty much anything gm. No c clips either, which are just spooky to me.

Its ok not to know ford lingo but the 9" is something they actually did very well. Pretty much the gold standard of rear ends. when they put my car on the lift for inspection everyone has to come look.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdgentug
So im building a 67 camaro with a 5.3 w/ turbo , 4l80e trans
Ive got most of those parts lined out for my build, and now im ready to tackle the rear end.
Ive got a 12 bolt now thats the stock length with 4.11 gears sitting on eaton posi posi n drum brakes.
Im going to be mini tubbing and putting in a XXXX ( not sure if they are a sponsor so name removed) 4 link setup.
So i was going to have to change the gears in the 12 bolt they are way to low for my forced induction , and i would have to have it narrowed and new axles cut , buy a 3 series carrier and ring gear bearing /install kit ect....
talking to the guy at XXXX he basically suggested their 9 in housing.
Its the correct length already and comes with axles.

Heres the thing , I dont know much at all about 9 inches , truth be told i had to ask what a third member was ( i know now ) because he said that wasnt included.

His price for a 9 in housing with just the axles to me seems kinda steep , and i dont know how strong the stock 9 in housing is either. I plan on seriously puttin 650 - 700 at the rear wheels so i need a rear that can handle that.

Im learning here so any advise you can give me is appreciated. Also I should add im not much of a welder so i have to pay a guy to do my fab work which is why i was looking into selling the 12 bolt and possibly going with the 9 in.
Take a look at the rears in the links below, which include free shipping. I recommend going with the Wavetrac differential with the 35 spline axles. Bob

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-I...ete-9-Inch.htm

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-M9-...ith-Center.htm

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-I...Muscle-Pak.htm

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-01-2013, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

thx bob
ill definatly keep yall in mind!

Quick Reply: Ford 9'' questions