Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Traction Control Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Traction Control Question

Today I purchased an excetionally nice 01 SOM SS. However when the car was originally ordered it was ordered without traction contol. I was needing some help on the following questions.

1. Are the rearends the same on the TSC supplied and the non supplied TSC cars from GM?

2. If so, what all do I need to do to install TSC on my car? The switch location on the dash is there, I would think that the wiring connection should be under the dash as well I may be wrong.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 03-10-2013, 05:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

A 3 channel(ABS) system and a 4 channel(ABS & TC) system are different in hydraulics,mechanical, and electronics/electrical control.
The ABS module has a different GM part number than the ABS/TC module.
The PCM of a 3 channel does not have TC in it to actuate/enable.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have the actual traction control assembly if you want it. Everything you need, brackets bolts cables etc..
Id check to see if it originally had it, maybe just removed.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why do you want to add TC to the car? 99% of people hate it.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
A 3 channel(ABS) system and a 4 channel(ABS & TC) system are different in hydraulics,mechanical, and electronics/electrical control.
The ABS module has a different GM part number than the ABS/TC module.
The PCM of a 3 channel does not have TC in it to actuate/enable.
FirstYrLS1Z Sounds, Thanks it sounds as if it isn't as easy as i was hoping. Is there an easy way to determine if I actually have a 3 or 4 channel? Or is it a given as to which one I have since I currently dont have TC.

Originally Posted by lemons12
I have the actual traction control assembly if you want it. Everything you need, brackets bolts cables etc..
Id check to see if it originally had it, maybe just removed.
Lemons, Thanks, I am working on finding out. The original owner was gracious enough to give over all original build sheets from when the car was special ordered. I am gonna go through it today and see what I can determine. I may hook up with you in a week or so if I can use it and pick it up. I will be headed semi close to you in a week or so ( Tullohoma ) to pick up some other parts.

Originally Posted by _JB_
Why do you want to add TC to the car? 99% of people hate it.
JB, my other car 99Z has it and I would much rather turn it off if I didn't need it if you know what I mean. Especially once I get my 408 in it. Just a little insurance.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

******* traction control killed my throttle in the rain under a green light once...almost got rear ended. That button has been turned off eversince.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by justin hover
******* traction control killed my throttle in the rain under a green light once...almost got rear ended. That button has been turned off eversince.
Justin, I hear what you are saying but it has saved he a hell of a lot more than hurt me in wet conditions.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Traction control (TC) is a 3 channel system, 1 channel per ea front wheel and 1 channel @ the rear diff. If you have a wire connection at the top of the diff it is a 3 channel.
Retrofitting TC would be a beast imho as it impacts the rear axle, ABS, throttle linkages and the PCM. If you were to want to retrofit the car I would suggest finding a donor as the only possible means to get everything operative. I track my car (HPD) regularily and like the flexibility to run with and without depending on conditions and my familiarity with the road course.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Tullahoma is 10 mins from me... Let me know if you want it, I'll meet you over there and get it to you for cheap.

Quick Reply: Traction Control Question