Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Do I even have (or have ever had) a posi anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I even have (or have ever had) a posi anymore?

So I was messin around with my 2000 Z28 today laid a nice healthy 40ft of rubber down the road... but there was only 1 tire mark behind me... what could be going on I thought Z28's had a posi?
Old 03-21-2013, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZiggyVanFloggin
So I was messin around with my 2000 Z28 today laid a nice healthy 40ft of rubber down the road... but there was only 1 tire mark behind me... what could be going on I thought Z28's had a posi?
Sounds like my exact situation. For me my posi was burned out and my carrier bearings were shot.

If I were you I'd do a diff fluid change and hope its not too late... I didn't catch mine time, now I have a new rearend to install because it was cheaper than having the bearings all replaced along with the rack and pinion.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Teching In

I'll do some reading on my extended warranty that is suppose to cover rear end, hopefully the posi is covered.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

I just noticed the same thing while doing a burnout tonight. I'm a little worried because I'm going to the track tomorrow. I thought it had something to do with the line-lock I just installed, guess not. I'm gonna change the fluid tomorrow to see if that helps.

Is there a certain gear oil and additive to the rear? I was thinking synthetic, any suggestions?
Old 03-22-2013, 07:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you all should all have torsen diffs which are worm gear diffs and dont require any additive for them to work correctly. Literally the only way one of them would not work is if the gears inside were broken but if that were the case then you would hear all types of noises....

the other option is someone replaced your rear with a v6 rear which is unlikely since most v6's are 3.08 rears with a 3.23 and 3.42 option. there is a simple test though that you dont need to burnout for.... just simply jack the rear off the ground and put it on stands and then start the car and put it in gear, now the torsen operates by worm gears climbing on eachother so for about 5-10 secs only 1 tire will spin but then the diff will lock up and both will spin.

As I said before make sure you were letting the tires spin long enough or drive in a straight line for about 50 feet before power breaking. reason is like I said the torsen needs to be unlocked, then as one wheel starts to spin fast it begins to lock but does take some time. this is why just a few tire chirps sometimes wont lock. either do the test i said or do a good powerbrake.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

^^^ this is it. When I did mine last night, I just pulled out of my driveway to do it. Drove it around a little bit, works fine. Thanks a lot man!
Old 03-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redbird555
you all should all have torsen diffs which are worm gear diffs and dont require any additive for them to work correctly. Literally the only way one of them would not work is if the gears inside were broken but if that were the case then you would hear all types of noises....

the other option is someone replaced your rear with a v6 rear which is unlikely since most v6's are 3.08 rears with a 3.23 and 3.42 option. there is a simple test though that you dont need to burnout for.... just simply jack the rear off the ground and put it on stands and then start the car and put it in gear, now the torsen operates by worm gears climbing on eachother so for about 5-10 secs only 1 tire will spin but then the diff will lock up and both will spin.

As I said before make sure you were letting the tires spin long enough or drive in a straight line for about 50 feet before power breaking. reason is like I said the torsen needs to be unlocked, then as one wheel starts to spin fast it begins to lock but does take some time. this is why just a few tire chirps sometimes wont lock. either do the test i said or do a good powerbrake.
How does our rear diff compare to say an EATON posi?
Old 03-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Ok took car out again today and did foot brake burnout, and got em both smoking problem solved, my previous attempt was just punching it on a curve.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Launching!

You guys are reminding me of the true posi I had in a '74 charger. Turns were less than fun let me tell you! lol

Quick Reply: Do I even have (or have ever had) a posi anymore?