Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

moser 9 inch break in question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 02:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moser 9 inch break in question

hey y'all. just having my moser 9 inch finished up in my local performance shop. couple quick questions. from what i've read for a break in period i should run the car off the ground in high gear for about five minutes. then drive cautiously for 500 miles stopping for cool down every 50 miles or so. Then change the fluid. is this what you have done? and how important is the fluid change? the reason i ask is in my 19 year old ignorance, i didn't opt for the drail bung... and im really unsure how to change correctly. wouldn't i have to pull the brakes, slide out the axles, pull the drive shaft, and pull out the center section to drain? cause if so.... F*** me. thanks again -John
Old 04-26-2013, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

I've never changed a 9 inch's oil. But i wouldnt think it would be that dificult to do. However, if it is, removing the brakes, and sliding the axles out is one of the easier things you can do to a rear. You'll need a 15 mm socket, or wrench for the calipers, and caliper mount bolts. If im not mistaken, the axles bolt onto the ends of the axles with a square, 4 bolt flange, so youll need a wrench for that. Once those are out of the way, the axle should slip right out. Just give it a gentle tug, and pull it out only about 6 inches. Just take care not to crush the axle seal behind the 4 bolt flange. Just unbolt your center section enough to allow the fluid to drain. Button it all back up, and refill.
Grab yourself a very basic set of tools from the parts house. Get the cheap stuff.
And i'm sure theres a writeup, or a video on howto for a 9 inch. Watch that and give
It a shot. Youll be satisfied more when you do it yourself.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:51 AM
Teching In

thanks for the response. what i think ill do instead of screwing with all of that is grab a piece of small tube(similar to something youd put on the bleeder valve on your brakes), and figure out a contraption to suck out the gear oil through the fill plug. then simply fill up. may not be able to get EVERYTHING out, but if i get more than 2 qts ill call it sucessful.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

I bought a bottle pump from advance a while back that screws onto a 5 gal, or a quart bottle and pumps through a hose. That would probably work.

Quick Reply: moser 9 inch break in question