Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My DIY Low Budget 8.8 Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me measure my axles when I get home and I'll try to post later tonight. That way you know how far the bearing sits from the wheel hub.

IIRC the measurement on the 9" Housing End's is 2" from the back of the plate to the bevel end. I measured 2" from the inside of the break mount on the stock axle. This lined up the axle perfectly once the bearing and LS1 break plate is pressed on.

On Moser site the instructions to do a c clip elimination on 10 bolts have them cut the excess tubing past the break mount.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smws6ta
Let me measure my axles when I get home and I'll try to post later tonight. That way you know how far the bearing sits from the wheel hub.

IIRC the measurement on the 9" Housing End's is 2" from the back of the plate to the bevel end. I measured 2" from the inside of the break mount on the stock axle. This lined up the axle perfectly once the bearing and LS1 break plate is pressed on.

On Moser site the instructions to do a c clip elimination on 10 bolts have them cut the excess tubing past the break mount.
Thank You very much!! I heard something about that, Yea I lost my Napkin with all my drawing & measurment so I Know the 10 bolt is 64 & some inches correct? Lemme search around my office For it..
Old 08-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Good looking work so far. Why the big aluminum cover from the Mountaineer? You shouldn't count the cost of tools into the total build cost. You aren't gonna **** can the tools after this build are you? They will pay for themselves after you build a couple of these rearends for guys on the forum.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Looks like a great alternative... Might want to look into a mercury marquee dif cover... Some Lincolns and mercury cars came with a 8.8 and dif cover mounted watts link setup from the factory... Not sure on specific model years
Old 08-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by reinhardt02
Good looking work so far. Why the big aluminum cover from the Mountaineer? You shouldn't count the cost of tools into the total build cost. You aren't gonna **** can the tools after this build are you? They will pay for themselves after you build a couple of these rearends for guys on the forum.
The Cover Is much nicer looking Than the Steel, Also its Vented & has a Fill & Drain.. I figured i add the cost As it was needed. Yea Ive Already been making its money back for me...
Old 08-12-2013, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CRCPerformance
Looks like a great alternative... Might want to look into a mercury marquee dif cover... Some Lincolns and mercury cars came with a 8.8 and dif cover mounted watts link setup from the factory... Not sure on specific model years
Really? Sounds intresting I may at the junk yard soon.. Ill take A look.. A fab up watts link sound nice
Old 08-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Launching!

What year Mountaineers had that cover? Dammit, now I have something else I need to find at the scrap yard! I am still putting together parts for an 8.8 build for my 02 Z.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by reinhardt02
What year Mountaineers had that cover? Dammit, now I have something else I need to find at the scrap yard! I am still putting together parts for an 8.8 build for my 02 Z.
The Cover was off a 04 Moutanier, I Got Lucky enough to find one at the U Pull & Pay..
Old 08-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Default Update

So Today I Decided All I need is to order axle But A thought popped in my head.. Well Im going to hold off on doing 31 spline untill a later point in time ( When i get more power adders). So Today I went to U Pull & Pay And went in search of a 28 Spline 8.8 Carrier WITH LSD.. Important otherwise it may not fit the explorer case.. Anyways With my luck I searched every Ranger, Bronco & Crown Vic Then BINGO!! I cant recall the year But I found A Ford Aerostar With A 3.55 LSD!! So I Pulled the axles counted the splines & Yes 28 spline.. The next best thing was it was only $25 Bucks!! So I go home & make sure everything fits & It does. Axles slip right in & Im very happy..

So this is my plan, I will retain my stock 10 axle tube W/housing ends & use my 10 Bolt Axles!! It may use c clips but I just to Anxious to wait any longer & I need my ride for school.. Happy day I hope to have it done by Sunday!! I Will Post More Pics Later today Or tommorow.. Now off to buy axle bearings!!

(The one with Blue is the 28 spline carrier)
Attached Thumbnails My DIY Low Budget 8.8 Build-img001.jpg  
Old 08-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Could you weld the 9" axle ends on and use your camaro axles with them? I have read the c clips are not a good fit w/ the camaro axles and 8.8 carrier.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Well I Will Eventually as i save up a bit more money i will but i will go to 31 spline. no use in c clip eliminators on stock axles.. I would also like to retain my TCS & ABS.. Ill be able to drive atleast & it'll get done by this sunday
Old 08-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Default Done

Finished & Drove Last nite.. Tru'd up the axle & welded up the tubes & mount using my 10 axles & Traction control, ABS, Used all my original parts, I Have Founders LCA & PHB Both non adjustibles & Lowering brackets, Lanches like a Champ.. Ill Take more pics after work... Fits like a stock unit & 3.73 make it pick up nicely. Ill Post pics in order till finished.
Attached Thumbnails My DIY Low Budget 8.8 Build-img003.jpg   My DIY Low Budget 8.8 Build-img004.jpg   My DIY Low Budget 8.8 Build-img005.jpg   My DIY Low Budget 8.8 Build-img006.jpg   My DIY Low Budget 8.8 Build-img007.jpg  

Old 08-21-2013, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Sorry for the dumb questions...

Why wouldn't you go with the 31 spline axles? whats the advantage/disadvantage here?
Could you just use the 31 spline axles from your 10 bolt F-body?
Did you have to narrow or widen the axle tubes for the axles to fit?
What all mounts did you have to fab up to get the axle housing to fit your f-body?

I'm just curious because i'd like to tackle this project this winter maybe. I have a turbo 2000 SS. I do have a built A4 behind the motor, and i think this would be a better option than my stock 10bolt.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Glad I did my 8.8 swap. Not sad glad company set my axle up with the wrong ring and pinion. 3.31 is not the 4.30 I bought. Knew something was up when it turns 1000 rpm at 45 in 6th.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GMouldy

Why wouldn't you go with the 31 spline axles? whats the advantage/disadvantage here?
What all mounts did you have to fab up to get the axle housing to fit your f-body?

I'm just curious because i'd like to tackle this project this winter maybe. I have a turbo 2000 SS. I do have a built A4 behind the motor, and i think this would be a better option than my stock 10bolt.
I'm not him, but....

1) 31 spline would need new axles. This way he could reuse his 10 bolt axles and get it together a lot cheaper and faster.
2) Related to #1 - the 10 bolt uses 28 spine, not 31 spline
3) He'll have to answer that
4) Looks like he had to come up with a torque arm mount, but the spring seats, shock mounts, and PHB mount were all already on the axle tubes he chopped off the 10 bolt.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I'm not him, but....

1) 31 spline would need new axles. This way he could reuse his 10 bolt axles and get it together a lot cheaper and faster.
2) Related to #1 - the 10 bolt uses 28 spine, not 31 spline
3) He'll have to answer that
4) Looks like he had to come up with a torque arm mount, but the spring seats, shock mounts, and PHB mount were all already on the axle tubes he chopped off the 10 bolt.

Thank you very much, that clears up a lot of confusion. I know the torque arm mount had to be fabed up. If i remember right he bought it.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GMouldy

Yes the explorer 8.8 uses a 31 spline carrier & the Camaro uses a 28 spline, so i had to get a 28 spline 8.8 carrier & the camaro axle fit & I just chopped my 10 bolt axle tube from as close to the center section. I Mocked everything up under the car before welding. As for the axle it is stock length 64 1/2in from Axle flange to axle flange.. Hope this helps, Good luck. Imma be building another one for someone here In ABQ soo ill take more pics..
Old 08-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls6jay
Glad I did my 8.8 swap. Not sad glad company set my axle up with the wrong ring and pinion. 3.31 is not the 4.30 I bought. Knew something was up when it turns 1000 rpm at 45 in 6th.
Hahaa Damn Thats never good, They make some pretty tough rears thou..
Old 08-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Nicely said SparkyJJO
Old 08-23-2013, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

SSrider'z, where did you get the torque arm mount for the 8.8?

Quick Reply: My DIY Low Budget 8.8 Build