Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Some questions about a 9"

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 06:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Some questions about a 9"

I was on a website and am looking at what options I might want on a rear. I am not a racer by any means, so having the strongest/most modified rear for racing isn't at all for me. My rear is about to grenade I believe and I don't want to put a 10 bolt back in. So, with that said, I was blown away with the options that are available. The biggest one was the differential options. What is the difference between a wavetrac and tru-trac and trac-loc? I assume the more costly ones are stronger, but as mentioned if I am not racing, I wouldn't necessarily want the strongest one.

Also, I have TCS/ABS currently and I couldn't care less about TCS. I read the sticky that said you could make a 3 channel work in a 4 channel car, but it then went on to say that you had to put the stock axles in the new rear. You wouldn't be able to put 10 bolt axles in a 9", correct? So then my question becomes, what if you just bought a 3 channel and didn't hook the TCS up at all, would this screw everything up? I hate spending money on an option that I don't even use.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The diff unit is usually one of the biggest factors in strength and cost, and will change how the rearend is put together with other items. The diff unit is really the place to start and go from there. The higher cost ones like the S-Trac and Wavetrac units are the latest designs, come with a limited lifetime warranty(for the diff unit only), and are a smooth operating unit similar to the factory posi.

As far as your ABS/TCS options, the ABS system is operated by the same wheel speed sensors that the TCS systems uses. You can disable the TCS system, but if you wish to retain your ABS portion the rearend cost will be the same. You can go to a 3ch setup and do the mods with the car, but the 3ch option is more cost and probably not worth it in your case.

Give me a call and we can further discuss all the options and combinations of parts that are available. I have the most options on any rearend whether it be a 9", S60, 12 bolt or whatever, and have the guaranteed best prices you will find. MWC is a direct dealer for Strange, Moser, Yukon Gear, Motive Gear, and so on so you are not limited with what just one company has to offer.

A Truetrac diff is a similar preloaded helical gear type, but the materials and design are much more weak. I normally don't recommend use of the Truetrac diff over 500hp or any type of racing/abuse when coupled with a M6 trans.

The Trac-lock is a clutch type unit, and would be somewhat similar to the Eaton units for the GM rears. It is a good diff unit, but case flex can be an issue with higher powered cars and any amount of abuse. This unit is rebuildable where all the others are not.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for that feedback, I will definitely use your business when the time comes to buy!

Quick Reply: Some questions about a 9"