Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Wrench

Does anyone know where to rent a torque wrench to set the preload on the pinion. It needs to be the dial style or possible the beam type and work in the range of like 0-30 or 0-60. A click style will not work.

I'm normally an advocate of buying tools, but this is literally something that gets used once or twice buy the average backyard mechanic.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Default just so everyone knows

I'm talking about pound-inches when i say 0-30 or 0-60
Old 07-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

If the rear is out of the car so you can make a continuous circle while measuring the pinion rolling torque I see no reason that you can not use a quality inlb click type wrench.
As it happened I had to give back the dial torque wrench I was using and finish my install with my Snap-On inlb click type wrench. I just treated it like a go, no-go gauge and snuck up on the rolling torque a couple inlbs at a time until the wrench didn't click over. I think you will not see a significant variation in readings between the two types of wrenches.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can use a click style, it's just a bit more difficult.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Teching In

I was thinking about using the click style like stated above. I was hoping that someone knew a parts place that rented the more ideal types. A lower end beam style one is $40. For the ease of it I may just buy one.

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench