Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New moser 9" whine

Old 07-05-2013, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New moser 9" whine

So i just finished installing my moser 9 " wavetrac and it now probablly has about 10 miles on it. From the beginning it has a terrible wind up whine from about 25mph up. once i get on the freeway its pretty over whelming. I bought this rear end because i was told that moser had fixed the gear whine problems of the past and that is rare to get one with problems these days. My question is does the noise go away as you break in the rear?
Old 07-05-2013, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What gear oil did you use?
Old 07-05-2013, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

The kind that came with it, Lucas 90w I believe
Old 07-05-2013, 05:34 PM
12 Second Club

What, yours came with oil, mine didn't. Who did you get your rear from
Old 07-05-2013, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Bob at brute speed
Old 07-05-2013, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Damn same here, didn't get any oil with it though, what ratio did you get
Old 07-05-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

i do mostly freeway driving and wanted to maintain mpg so i went with 3.50... closest to the stock 3.42. I also paid for my oil it was just an option on the rear
Old 07-05-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

any one who works on 9" rears in corpus christi TX
Old 07-06-2013, 05:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaTA327
What, yours came with oil, mine didn't. Who did you get your rear from
The oil is an option on my order sheet. Thanks. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 07-06-2013, 05:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
So i just finished installing my moser 9 " wavetrac and it now probablly has about 10 miles on it. From the beginning it has a terrible wind up whine from about 25mph up. once i get on the freeway its pretty over whelming. I bought this rear end because i was told that moser had fixed the gear whine problems of the past and that is rare to get one with problems these days. My question is does the noise go away as you break in the rear?
Check to make sure the rear or the torque arm bracket is not making any contact with the floor, there are two spots where I have seen them touch. If it is touching a lot of noise will be transferred up from the rear. A pry bar shoved in between where parts are touching and prying the floor away from the rear/torque arm bracket is easily done. If the rear is not touching than yours would be one of the rare ones that has noise. You can have two identical appearing gearsets both installed exactly the same, and one can be noisy. It can be the cut of the gears. I have had gears quiet down after getting broken in, but this isn't normally the case. Usually the center section needs to be removed and sent back to Moser to have a new set of gears installed. Check to see if it is rubbing anywhere and let me know. Thanks. Bob

Old 07-08-2013, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

Installed the rear yesterday and drove it for 10 miles, very minimal gear wine on mine. I did notice as the wheels were spinning sitting on jack stands that they had a wobble to them, anyone know if that's normal, the wheels are custom made since the rear is narrowed 2 inches each side
Old 07-08-2013, 12:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by FormulaTA327
Installed the rear yesterday and drove it for 10 miles, very minimal gear wine on mine. I did notice as the wheels were spinning sitting on jack stands that they had a wobble to them, anyone know if that's normal, the wheels are custom made since the rear is narrowed 2 inches each side
The wobble could be in the wheels, pull them off and run it on the stands and see if the wobble is gone. Bob

Old 07-08-2013, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

good to hear urs has no whine, i have a low ratio and full length torque arm so i hope to get ride of mine
Old 07-08-2013, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

Il do that Bob, and a adjustable torque is the way to go, get a good pinion angle and any vibration should go away a little
Old 07-09-2013, 07:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Do yourself a favor sell it and buy anything that is not a moser product
Tom, what you thought was a problem with your Wavetrac is not a problem at all. Those are alignment pin holes for when the unit is assembled. Once assembled they are removed. Moser Engineering does not manufacture or assemble the WAVETRAC units, they manufactured and assembled by Autotech. I had Moser send you free a new ring and pinion and bearings several years after I sold you your rear, it would of been nice if you didn't go on a bashing spree. Bob

Old 07-27-2013, 07:00 AM
TECH Resident

Default update

well i pulled the unit and had a pattern run and thanks to some help from Bob sent it back to moser for them to reset my gears. When i got it bakc i checked the pattern again before install and it was set exactly the same(centered on coast and heal on drive). I find that pattern odd because from what i read if anything they would set it up on the toe side for race purposes. Either way i had a local shop re-shim it and they got it centered on both sides. Installed it and no gear whine what so ever. Unfortunately i now have a vibration on drive and a harsh ride where i feel all the bumps, i have plenty of clearance on the torque arm so ive concluded it is probably the pinion angle, i believe i have it set around -2. Ill try messing with it later on and see if it goes away
Old 07-30-2013, 02:00 AM
Staging Lane

I have a lot of whine coming from my rear end.

However, I know for a fact that my torque arm rides against the driveshaft tunnel and the arm-to-bracket bolts protrude far enough that they touch the body. On top of that, the bracket-to-diff mounting sleeves impact the body under full compression.

With all those contact points, that would be the cause for all my whine and squeaks right? I'm hoping that I don't actually have backlash issues... I don't have paperwork for this axle.

Also, I'm curious if I should try a different fluid that might quiet down the noise being created in the diff. Eliminating the telegraphing o the nvh is not possible in my current setup. I'm open to suggestions for fluids though
Old 07-30-2013, 04:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Flubyux2
I have a lot of whine coming from my rear end.

However, I know for a fact that my torque arm rides against the driveshaft tunnel and the arm-to-bracket bolts protrude far enough that they touch the body. On top of that, the bracket-to-diff mounting sleeves impact the body under full compression.

With all those contact points, that would be the cause for all my whine and squeaks right? I'm hoping that I don't actually have backlash issues... I don't have paperwork for this axle.

Also, I'm curious if I should try a different fluid that might quiet down the noise being created in the diff. Eliminating the telegraphing o the nvh is not possible in my current setup. I'm open to suggestions for fluids though
If you don't take care of those places that are rubbing, they will wear holes through the sheetmetal. More than likely all of your noise you hear is from where it is rubbing. I would start there. Bob

Old 07-30-2013, 04:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well i pulled the unit and had a pattern run and thanks to some help from Bob sent it back to moser for them to reset my gears. When i got it bakc i checked the pattern again before install and it was set exactly the same(centered on coast and heal on drive). I find that pattern odd because from what i read if anything they would set it up on the toe side for race purposes. Either way i had a local shop re-shim it and they got it centered on both sides. Installed it and no gear whine what so ever. Unfortunately i now have a vibration on drive and a harsh ride where i feel all the bumps, i have plenty of clearance on the torque arm so ive concluded it is probably the pinion angle, i believe i have it set around -2. Ill try messing with it later on and see if it goes away
I agree, it's more than likely the pinion angle being the cause of your vibration. Bob

Old 08-19-2013, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

First of all what brand of gear are they using? Most 9 inch Ford gears are going to make noise. I just tore my 9 inch back down, its been sitting for a year, getting ready to put it back in my car. The gear in it now is a US/Strange gear. This gear was setup perfect, I checked it with a pinion depth tool. The gear was ran for maybe 100 miles and the pattern is perfect, but the sucker sounded like I had an airplane under the back of the car. This is why I put the 10 bolt back in. I also had bad vibrations. What I noticed was that my wheels would wobble with the car on jack stands, not side to side wobble but up and down. What I figured out was the eccentric on the Moser axles do not stick out far enough to engage the hole in the center of the wheel, so you are relying on the studs to center the wheel up. To fix this I am going to weld the center of the axles up to build this out then machine them back down. They will stick out far enough to center the wheel. This should take care of the vibration.

The US Strange gear is a good strong gear for sure and I am sure it will hold to anything I will throw at it. But, I am going with a Yukon 3.89 this time. If it makes noise I am running it. My power level has went up since the 402 install and my exhaust is loud enough that I cant hear the 10 bolt make noise anymore, which it does. Yukon is suppose to be one of the quietest gears made. That's why they cost more, and that's why Moser probably didn't put one in your rear, you probably have a Motive, which is still a good strong gear, but they tend to make some noise.

More than likely your rear is fine, nothing wrong with it, its just noisey.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New moser 9" whine