Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Check my gear pattern

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Check my gear pattern

So I picked up some used 410 gm gears and am installing them in my 10 bolt. This is my first time installing gears. It looks like I need to shim the pinion a little more.

Here are my drive and coast patterns. I am told that you do not have to worry about the "drive" on used gears. These have 30,000 miles and are out of an astro van.

Also, what should my backlash be set at?
Attached Thumbnails Check my gear pattern-1.jpg   Check my gear pattern-2.jpg   Check my gear pattern-coast.jpg   Check my gear pattern-coast-2.jpg  
Old 07-09-2013, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

IIRC backlash should be between .005-.009. I just finished up installing new motive 3.73s and it was .008
Old 07-09-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I cant really tell much from the pics. It looks like the gear paint wasnt even touched or that its completely gone. Either way you want to shoot for a nice even pattern with depth about halfway on the tooth. The pattern on the drive side does matter but really on new gears, as the used ones have wear on the drive side so a used pattern can be off. Gm gears like to be run a little tight so I'd shoot for something in the .006 range.

Try to get a better pic and post again but this is an example of a good pattern.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...tern-pics.html
Old 07-10-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i got it back together, set the backlash to .007. Its a real pain to set these up when you have to keep taking the bearing off. I made my a split bearing so it would slide off but the bearing wasnt in the best shape. I drove it around, its a little noisy, about the same as the other gears that were in it.

Initial impressions are its not much different but i havent driven much. I can tell that I have to shift faster as it revs faster. I will drive it tomorrow more.

So this install cost me about $185 with purchasing a dial indicator, gears, install kit, one new pinion bearing and oil.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

What did you set your pinion nut torque to? Did you use the same crush sleeve after you took the pinion out and reset it?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used a new crush sleeve and just tightened it until it felt like it spun freely with no slop. I drove it alot more today, im impressed on how it holds the rpms now when I shift, requires alot quicker of a shift now. Its actually pretty quiet for my first time ever setting up gears. I mean its not dead quiet, but its not extremely lound. Now to get my speedo corrected, its way off. It said I was doing 90 today, should of only been 65 to 70.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
I used a new crush sleeve and just tightened it until it felt like it spun freely with no slop.
This method might work but its not the correct way to go about doing it. Next time youll need the tool that measures rotating torque (forgot the name), as it needs to be between 15-30 in lbs. doesnt seem like much but it is.

Congrats on your first install though.

Quick Reply: Check my gear pattern