Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 bolt

I'm wanting to put a 12 bolt in, I will be drag racing this car and my car is an a4,I want o keep my abs and parking break, what 12 bolt do I need, what size spline, what channel 3 or 4 and what does that mean actually lol sorry, I don't know anything about these so all the info I can get will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stherngent
I'm wanting to put a 12 bolt in, I will be drag racing this car and my car is an a4,I want o keep my abs and parking break, what 12 bolt do I need, what size spline, what channel 3 or 4 and what does that mean actually lol sorry, I don't know anything about these so all the info I can get will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Best 12 bolt option is Strange. They use a bolt-through torque arm mounting design like the stock setup. Moser uses four bolts that thread into the torque arm mount on the housing and have been well documented as having issues loosening up and backing out.

Most 12 bolts are 33 spline, which depending on your setup should be enough. I believe you could step up to 35 spline if needed.

ABS and parking brake shouldn't be a problem--do you know if your car comes with Traction control? If so, you will need to look for a 4 channel rear. If your car doesn't have traction control you will need a 3 channel. Four channel just means there are four sensors for the ABS/traction control system system--2 up front and 2 out back, one on each wheel. In a 4 channel setup, the Traction control works with the ABS system and uses a reluctor ring on the end of each axle to sense wheel spin (TCS) or wheels locking up (ABS). It then applies the brakes to keep the wheels from spinning or, in the case of ABS, keeps the brakes from locking up the rear wheels as well. If you don't have traction control, you just have one sensor in the middle of the rearend housing for the ABS system. It uses a reluctor ring bolted to the ring gear inside the housing for ABS.

Hope that helps. Don't hesitate to ask any more questions.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Thanks very much, I might have a few more questions later, thanks.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Launching!

From 1-10 how difficult is it to drop your 10 bolt out? And how long will it take?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stherngent
From 1-10 how difficult is it to drop your 10 bolt out? And how long will it take?
Its not dificult to take out the rear. Me and a friend did it in the drive way with a jack and stands and it took us about maybe 6 hours time including some breaks. Only real hard part about it was rotating the rear end to get the torque arm to slip back onto the rear end when we reassembled everything. Other than that, its fairly easy if you are good mechanicaly.

The rear in my car is a Moser but the T/A I bought came with a Moser 12 bolt and its about 4 years old now. I've never had a problem with the torque arm bolts coming loose and I've taken the torque arm off numerous times. But if it were me buying a 12 bolt I'd definatley go with a Strange unit just because of the torque arm mounting like stated above. But I love my Moser 12 bolt and will stick with it until I break it.

Last edited by Asian LSX; 07-19-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Launching!

I can take my trans out by myself in a couple hrs.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I can answer any questions about Strange products please let Me know. I will be open at 9AM tomorrow if You would like to call.

Thank You,
Carl
Old 07-22-2013, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Order from Carl, he's a good guy.

Also, my abs has never worked since installing my 12 bolt. I have a 4 channel rear. Looking back this is an extremely common problem for aftermarket rear ends. The reason: the stock sensors have very little room for placement error. Something about aftermarket rears moves them just a tad and it throws the abs computer into a hissy fit. I honestly didn't feel like jacking with it so I ordered an abs delete kit. This is something that's not openly known that's why I put that out there. But other then that I have been loving my 12 bolt. Went out to the track and left with a front wheel in the air 7 times in a row and drove home with no issues. Next time both will be up.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Order from Carl, he's a good guy.

Also, my abs has never worked since installing my 12 bolt. I have a 4 channel rear. Looking back this is an extremely common problem for aftermarket rear ends. The reason: the stock sensors have very little room for placement error. Something about aftermarket rears moves them just a tad and it throws the abs computer into a hissy fit. I honestly didn't feel like jacking with it so I ordered an abs delete kit. This is something that's not openly known that's why I put that out there. But other then that I have been loving my 12 bolt. Went out to the track and left with a front wheel in the air 7 times in a row and drove home with no issues. Next time both will be up.
That's interesting about the ABS. Good to know so I won't be surprised if mine doesn't work in a few months when I install my 12 bolt. I have a 3 channel rear, however. Do you know if guys generally have more success with the 3 channel ABS systems over the 4?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

3 channels read from the housing so it is less prone to problems. 4 channel reads at EACH axle flange. The thing that pisses me off is some rear end makers here will say its not their fault it doesn't work. BS!! It worked before the rear end swap. They have a way of pawning it off and that's what I don't like. But, its a common problem with several rear end brands and honestly goes to show how picky the stock ABS system is. There are several threads about it.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like I may be in the clear then. That is frustrating for you 4 channel guys, though. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: 12 bolt