Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Axle clunking sound on bumps HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle clunking sound on bumps HELP

On an 01 Camaro, I put in new axles, new wheel bearings and seals and new spider gears and everything that comes with the whole spider gear kit.

Only the right side has a clunking sound and it clunks on every little bump. Can anyone help me out with this? What do I do to fix this problem? The left side is fine.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you remove the sway or PHB in your efforts? If so either could be loose or need greasing.

If you left the rear in your car, could still be brakes. I assume you put the c-clips back in? If you did leave the rear in Id figure this out most ricky-tick or someone could get hurt.

Also, check to see if axle bearing feels loose on that side. Believe ive read on here people getting defective axles with improper diameter.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:54 AM
Staging Lane

I had it switched out at a shop, so I am not really sure what they did and how they did it but they are very professional and I think if the c-clips were not back in, it would fall out? And it's not the sway or PHB making the

The thing is that I did not replace both axles at the same time. First, I replaced the passenger side, which is the one that has the clunk and it is a Dorman axle shaft, bought it from Autozone.

A few weeks later I replaced the driver side axle shaft and it was a Powertorque axle shaft from O'Reilly Auto. So I am beginning to suspect that Dorman does not make the axles the proper diameter or whatever because I believe I have had that same noise on every bump ever since I put that new one in but I just never seemed to notice or connect it with it being the axle. I guess it may be defective??
Old 07-25-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

If it is the axle the wheel will tilt back and forth. How do you know it isnt phb or sway? They sound just as bad and people confuse them all the time. Just wiggle the wheel...I am not talking about in and out, which will just exercise the c clips. Youve got to rock the wheel. If its loose theres your issue.

If not, see above...and check brakes too. I just greased my sway bushings..it was clunking and rattling over every bump. If your shop pulled the rear, I doubt they lubed anything in the suspension when they put it back...very unlikely.

Final thing you can do is put it on stands. Get under and push on the body to work the suspenders...listen and repeat.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

check your torque arm bolts. I'm getting that same sounding sound. I need to get under my car and check, but from what I read, that could be it.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

I had the same sound, it was the brake backing plates. The nuts had come loose and the plates were clunking around. It was kind of a bitch to tighten them up with the axles on but I got them tight and they stopped making noise.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

check your lower control arms and make sure the bolts are tight.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Staging Lane

Guys, all bolts have been checked, all bushings are good, exhaust has been checked, 3 days ago I put in brand new rotors and brand new brakes on all fours.

The car was parked in the shop on one of those platforms where the plates under the rear tires can move them left or right and that's when that clunk was discovered in the passenger side axle and its coming from the center of the differential towards the passenger side, right in there.

What could that be? Could it be some missing C-Clip or something? I really do not know how it is put together in there.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:11 AM
Teching In

check your shock/strut isolater's
Old 07-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Brother,

I am telling you the problem is in the axle going into the differential right before the center of the differential.

Quick Reply: Axle clunking sound on bumps HELP