Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 bolt install ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 bolt install ?

I got the Moser 12 bolt with the TCS rings pressed in already. But what i cant figure out it how to intstall the axles properly. The order of parts on the axle from the studs in go as follows. backin plate, bearing, bearing press ring. Is that all? What about the metal and rubber grommit thing thats supposed to keep the fluid from coming out? is what i have dont all i need? Can someone give me a detailed instalation of them. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

If you're still installing, you need to add that gold thingy with the spring loaded grommet into the axle before you put the axle in the housing. YOu will need a oversized press of some kind to hammer it in. I used a huge conduit connector (like 2" diameter" that let me hammer that thing in.

Or just call Moser, they are REALLY helpful on the phone.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:22 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The order you stated is correct. Make sure and put the bearings on the right way, the o-ring on the bearing faces towards the outside (I think) , they state it in the instructions so read it since if they go on the wrong way they will fail.

The seal goes in the axle tube, you will need something big and round to beat it in with. That seal isnt super critical, the bearing itself is sealed (just like your front wheel bearings) but they give you the extra seal to lower the chances of any leaks.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp
The order you stated is correct. Make sure and put the bearings on the right way, the o-ring on the bearing faces towards the outside (I think) , they state it in the instructions so read it since if they go on the wrong way they will fail.

The seal goes in the axle tube, you will need something big and round to beat it in with. That seal isnt super critical, the bearing itself is sealed (just like your front wheel bearings) but they give you the extra seal to lower the chances of any leaks.
That's correct o-rings out or you'll get leaks and busted bearings.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt even use the seals and i have 0 leaks.

call me and i can come help you install it son
Old 05-07-2004, 08:48 AM
kp
8 Second Club

you dont really have to install them, if you use bearings without the o-rings on the outside they will leak if you dont use silicone around them and leave those seals out.