Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rearend popping while turning after rearend swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 12:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rearend popping while turning after rearend swap

Ok so here is the deal try to follow closely. The car is a 2000 z28 A4 2.73 with TCS (4channel) I just bought the car back after selling it last month. I bought the car back needing a rearend. The donor rearend I had laying around is out of a LT1 car non tcs (3channel) with 3.42. I swapped the axles over, swapped the backing plates, brakes etc. I went and drove the car and all was fine until i slowed down and heard some popping at very slow speeds while turning. It feels like the relucter wheel is hitting something but i havent looked yet. The car will not pop in a straight line and will not pop if tuning at "normal" driving speeds. It is very loud and will shift the whole car. The only time you can get it to do it is like if pulling into a tight parking sport or backing out of said parking spot. it is very strange. I'm going to pull it apart today and have a look. Only other thing is i did not put the rubber "cups" back on top of the spring. So could it be the springs shifting? I dont think it is but also a possibility. i did however put rubber hose over the top coil of the spring. I will be putting new axle bearings in it today if i do not find the reluctor wheels to be rubbing anything. I can beat this as hard as I want in a straight line with no noises, do donuts, get sideways around corners, drive around town etc with no noises, but if I turn full lock and go very slow it will pop like hell!. PLEASE HELP!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no body has any idea?

Quick Reply: rearend popping while turning after rearend swap