Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What posi?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 08:24 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What posi?

Now that Torsen take-off is not sold anymore, what options do I have? I currently have an Auburn and wish I never sold my Torsen.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Posi

Auburn is not a bad thing, you just have to remember to add the posi lube when changing the fluid. I went from an auburn to a torsen and don't care for the torsen at all. If i was to do it all over again i would buy the Eaton posi and that is based on being able to rebuild them. The auburn and torsen are pretty much finished once worn out.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:49 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I though that Torsen doesn't wear out since there are no clutches.

Besides the fact that Eaton is rebuildable, why is it better then Torsen. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eaton posi

What i mean by wearing out, if any of the small gears break inside the torsen they can/will destroy the bore they are machined to fit. They are all timed with each other. If this happens you cann't take the unit apart to rebuild because those parts get all wedged inside the unit. The eaton is more foregiving in that you can disassemble the unit for maintainance. Almost forgot, the eaton and auburn do not make the meshing gear locking sound the toren makes. That just happens to be one of the characteristics of the torsen.