Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Intermittent Grinding

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Grinding

I am in need of some help. I have a 2002 T/A WS6 that has around 74,000 miles. When I bought the car about a month ago the previous owner had 4.10 gears installed and whoever did screwed it up bad. The gears were howling very loud. I got Motive 3.73 gears and install kit from Summit and took it to a local performance shop. When he got into it he said the backlash was way off and the gears and bearings were shot. He replaced the bearings and installed the gears. The first 100 miles went good but now I am getting a wierd grinding sound. It doesn't happen all the time and it reminds me of the sound the atenna motor makes when it starts to go bad. I notice it when I put it into reverse and give it a little gas. It also doesnt feel real smooth in reverse either when it is going backwards. It also happens when I turn and give it a little gas. If I am accelerating slowly it will happen every once and while. It doesn't happen all the time so did the mechanic not install the gears correctly or is it something else? This is the factory 10 bolt. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody?
Old 08-15-2013, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Still waiting for some help
Old 08-16-2013, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, thread title reminds me of prom night.

Could be a lot of things man. ANy chance its coming from either wheel, or is it coming from the diff area? Id put the rear up on stands and see if I could get a better idea where its coming from. It could be crush sleeve, pinion shim may not have been hogged out and riding on the the chamfer of the pinion. Rubbing reluctor wheel. Is it 3 channel or 4 channel?

Since its about time to change the oil, might as well pop the cover and look for anything obvious.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

4 channel. My father in law is going to take a look at it this weekend since I'm busy to see if he can figure out what is making the sound. Summit suggested the additive since it is a limited slip differential. How long after a gear swap do you change the gear oil?

Quick Reply: Intermittent Grinding