Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end vibration and gear whine

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end vibration and gear whine

Hey all, I've been really confused about a slight vibration I get when initially pressing and letting off the pedal and when I just slightly hold it in I feel what's almost like a very light clunk and I get gear whine. Thing of it is I had my camaro at the dealership and the everything except the axle shafts has been replaced and they checked the gears again and they're in spec with the adjustments. Also when I hit a little above 100 MPH I get a very harsh vibration from the rear that shakes the entire car and almost feels like the passenger rear, but I cannot tell. I'm just lost as to what the problem could be so I'm hoping someone has some idea if they've ever run into this problem.

Also the car has 3.73 gears, but again they were replaced and checked and are adjusted within spec.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked the oil levels to start off with?
Old 08-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Teching In

I checked to see what the oil level was at and it runs out slightly at the fill plug so that's OK. I just really don't know where do go from here.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

How are your u-joints. I had the same issue with my 9 inch and it was just the rear u joint.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default New Moser nine inch rear end with Detroit Tru Trac

I purchased a Moser nine inch rear end with Detroit Tru Trac and had to have the center section replaced due to grinding and vibration. Less than 200 miles. Moser replaced the center section and I still have the same issue with the rear end as before. The second center section has less than 80 miles on it and it grinds during acceration and when coasting it grinds and surges. I have had the car looked at by two garages and there is no rubbing or loose control arms or any angle problems. The noise is not a whine but a loud grind which sounds like metal to metal. I am $5 grand into the rear end and cannot drive the car. 2001 Chevy Camaro Z-28 with a new LS 6 engine with cam and Pro-Charger.530 rwhp. Taking the car to a third shop in the Houston area to remove the center section to inspect the pinion. Any ideas. Thanks.

Quick Reply: rear end vibration and gear whine