Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Mini Spool in a 10 Bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Spool in a 10 Bolt?

Im sure its been discussed here, but for some reason the search function isnt working on my phone. Anyone have any luck with mini spools in an otherwise stock open diff 10 bolt? I dont make a ton of power, but detonated my stock rear and have a spare rear laying around but its an open diff. I know driving on the street will be weird, ive driven cars with mini spools before. To me, in theory at least, takes the place of everything i broke in my original rear, so wouldnt it be stronger?
Old 09-22-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 10 bolt can barely hold up under all the stress of stock power levels, and you want to introduce more stress by putting any type of a spool in a 10 bolt...good luck.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Well i figured since when i blew mine up i shattered everything inside the carrier, if i replaced that all that with solid metal, i'd have less problems with it.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

there is alot of information on here about 10 bolt rears and the downside, it is usually the ring and pinion that break first due to being to small, it is actually cheaper to pick up a used 10 bolt, of if you can find one, a 12 bolt/9 inch rear
Old 09-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

I may not have many posts but ive been around the block a time or two. I know the 10 bolt is a less than spectacular rear. Im frankly amazed mine lasted a year under the stress i put it through. The ring and pinion breaking because its small does make sense though. Ive heard of it happening (happened to a friends ws6) and that would probably be the next thing to break. Im guessing bias ply tires could help aleviate a little bit of pressure off it instead of the harderdrag radials that im running right now. And just so you know, im not building a drag car or anything, i know its a bandaid until i can afford a beefier rear.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Honestly from what I've read its not an issue with the spool but the axles. They apparently don't like the added stress of a spool. Broke axle, plus C clip design, = Bad news.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1) You will not have a cost efficient way to retain the axles(no c-clips work on a spool).

2) As soon as you strengthen the center of the rearend something else will break, most likely the axle shaft(s).

3) If you do break an axle with a spool you will make an immediate turn that may be uncontrollable and cause a crash.

Answer is NO.

Quick Reply: Mini Spool in a 10 Bolt?