Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10- bolt whine/torsen question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10- bolt whine/torsen question

I have a two-part question about the 10-bolt in my '00 SS. The car has approx. 150k on it and I'm unsure whether or not the gears or bearings have ever been replaced. I have kept the fluid changed since I've owned the car.
1st issue: after driving the car pretty hard and launching it from nearly every stoplight one morning last week, I noticed that at the last stoplight, something felt like it was binding in the drivetrain somewhere when I tried to take off from the light. Once the car started moving, I noticed a loud whining noise coming from what sounded like the rear of the car. I assumed that maybe the crush sleeve possibly loosened some and was in the process of ruining the ring and pinion. I babied it the rest of the way to work, and after work, babied it back home. Today, I finally had a chance to work on it some, so, after removing the rear end cover and expecting to see some metal inside, I was surprised to see that it was pretty clean inside. Now, I haven't dropped the driveshaft yet, so I can't say for sure that the problem isn't pinion-related, but I plan on doing so tomorrow. If I don't find anything wrong with the pinion, does anyone have any ideas on where else to look inside the rearend? I've heard gear-related whines and bearing-related whines, and this sure sounds gear-related to me.
2nd issue: how can you tell whether or not a Torsen unit is working correctly? I've spun both axles and tried to look at the spider gears inside the unit to see if I can see anything that doesn't look good, and so far, I can't really see anything. However, when both rear wheels are off of the ground, such as on a lift, only the passenger side wheel spins with the tranny in drive. The driver side wheel starts out spinning the same amount as the passenger side, but then quits spinning. The car seems like it spins both tires when running it hard from a dig, so I'm not sure what to think about it. I also wondered if the whining noise could be coming from the Torsen unit. Like I said earlier; to me, the noise sounds gear-related.
Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

The Torsen should act like an open diff when you have it in the air. So if you spin one wheel forward the other wheel should spin backwards pretty freely. My Torsen almost locked completely up.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
The Torsen should act like an open diff when you have it in the air. So if you spin one wheel forward the other wheel should spin backwards pretty freely. My Torsen almost locked completely up.
Hmmm... I'll double-check it again tomorrow, spinning one axle by hand and see how it acts. Thanks for the input!!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

Well, I had a chance to work on the Camaro again last night. The pinion is still tight, which surprised me to see. I figured that I'd find it a little loose from the crush sleeve collapsing some, but it wasn't. So now, I'm really puzzled here. I'm going to pull both axle shafts while it's apart and see how they look, but if no problem is found there, then I'm not sure what else in the rearend could cause the noise. I'm starting to wonder if the problem could be coming from the tranny. Has anyone else seen a 4l60e do something like this?

Quick Reply: 10- bolt whine/torsen question