Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Detroit Locker on 6 speed Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Detroit Locker on 6 speed Camaro

I was really happy I got my Dana S60 installed until I drove the car.

It came with a Detroit Locker by mistake, I didn't want it as the car is a street car that sees a little bit of road course. Its a pain in the *** on the street. I imagine at the strip it will work great. Right now I have 420whp, Steve Morris Engines is doing a procharger in the next 2 weeks.

I don't think a locker would be ideal for road course racing though.

Thoughts? any danger I should consider running around corners with this set up?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:30 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use to hit the tracks pretty regularly. First started out using a clutch style limited slip which wore out pretty fast. The I moved to a Detroit locker when I upgraded to a Ford nine inch. Used it for about 3 years and then gave up on it. With the locker there was some quirks but nothing I couldn't over come for the most part. but I was about 5 seconds slower over all . The locker is like a light bulb with the gas pedal , clutch and brake being the light switch. The car will push in a tight turn unless you declutch and could be loose or tight coming out depending on the amount of throttle being applied.
I finally ended up with a Detroit Trutrac which has been flawless since going in. My times are back to normal. The only drawback was that I had to shorten the left axle shaft by about 2 mm. Moser builds their axle shafts to the max length of the differential you are using at the time of purchase to take advantage of full engagement of the splines.

The video below is when I had the Locker installed. Around the 6 min mark you here me commenting on it

This video below is after the trutrac install just about a month later. Can't tell no difference from the video. I am still a crappy driver. But the car was actually faster and more predictable when turning into sharp corners.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after having a locker in my car for about 7 years, i can tell you it would suck on a road course. accelerating through tight corners is not gonna happen
Old 10-02-2013, 05:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
after having a locker in my car for about 7 years, i can tell you it would suck on a road course. accelerating through tight corners is not gonna happen
I agree. I don't recommend a locker for manual transmissions at all. The 1/2 rotation of driveshaft slop can play havoc with the syncros unless the car is at wide open throttle. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-02-2013, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i had the locker in my car i hated it....it clicked like crazy and anyone in the car thought my rear was broken and i got tired of tring to explain it..and at a car show when leaving i would hear people comment hey your rear is broken, and i would just shake my head yet some older guy who know what it was would just give me the nod...lol

Quick Reply: Detroit Locker on 6 speed Camaro