Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange 12 bolt guidance

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Strange 12 bolt guidance

This is for a Strange 12 bolt housing and I am attempting to remove the axle bearing inner race, In the process there is a thin shim behind it I messed up. I found a diagram (from Midwest Chassis) that calls out A1030C (housing seal) but most references refer to it as part of a c-clip eliminator kit. The pictures also show what appears to be an actual wiping surface around the axle where as there is nothing like it in my housing.

Is this the correct part or could I have something else?

And what tool do I need to properly remove this bearing race!

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Strange S60 and it uses the same bearings and seals as the Strange 12 bolt. I'm pretty sure that the seal (A1030C) goes in the axle tube end and mates with a ring on the axle. When this seal is used the axle tubes have a grease zerk at the ends to grease the axle bearings periodically. Do you have Timken 'Set 20' (A1013) axle bearings? My S60 does but I don't have the grease zerks or the A1030C seal and ring, my bearings are lubed with gear oil like stock.

Heres a link to a thread 01ssreda4 made when he built his Strange 12 bolt, there's lots of pics and he could no doubt answer your question.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...t-install.html

Check out this post from Midwest with bearing/seal info.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/8135816-post7.html

This is the document I used for part number reference, it's probably the one you mention above
http://www.midwestchassis.com/upload...ate_f-body.pdf.

Last edited by Tom94TA; 09-25-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Tom. This has grease fittings on the ends and it looks like the gear oil gets sealed off. Not sure of the axle bearing as they are at a local shop. I will try and reach them tomorrow I just want to get ready to order something in case they don't have it.

What is puzzling about mine is where the seal is (or should be) there is no neoprene or whatever material to actually seal. Unless it somehow was stuck to the axles and I didn't notice it.

Both of those links I have seen. Actually the pdf for MWC was where I found the part number. Thanks.

Any idea how to get the bearing race out, what is the right tool to use?
Old 09-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bearing is pressed onto the axle and retained with the wedding ring A1021B. What bearing race are you trying to get out? Both bearing types for the axles (ball bearing with o-ring and tapered Timken set20) are fully assembled and do not come apart. The entire bearing comes out with the axle. The axle/bearing assy just slips into the axle housing and are retained by the brake backing plate.

The housing ends have some machined steps in them, are you sure you're not looking at those? Can you post a pic of what you're trying to remove?

When I ordered my rear I asked for the grease zerks (which would include the inner seals) but when I picked it up at Strange in Morton Grove I saw that the housing ends had no zerks. When I asked about it they said they where eliminating the inner seals and zerks so the bearings are lubed with the diff gear oil. I pulled a axle out of my new rear when I got it home and sure enough there was no internal seal, and my axles use the tapered Timken set 20 A1013 bearings with no leaks so far (2k miles).
Thats my take on the issue of inner seals.
Give Strange a call tomorrow and ask for Mike R. 847 663-1701 ext 4726
He was my rep and should be able to answer any questions you may have.

Last edited by Tom94TA; 09-25-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: New Info/ Questions
Old 09-25-2013, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

This is the inner race. Still in the housing. I will ring Mike at Strange tomorrow. Thanks again.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

I talked to Mike at Strange today. Nice guy. He said I don't need to use the seals anymore, just let the axle bearings get lubed from the gear oil. As far as the inner race, he said there must be a burr or something otherwise they should come out with no major issue.

Quick Reply: Strange 12 bolt guidance