Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Changed pinion seal still leaking..

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changed pinion seal still leaking..

So about 4 months ago I changed out the leaking pinion seal I had. I just dropped the driveshaft and marked where the nut was on the seal. Popped out the old seal and put the new one in then I torqued it down to exactly where it was before. I understand this probably isnt the best method and this could probably be the reason it is still leaking. How do I "preload" or do it right?

I followed this youtube video during my install incase anyone is confused by my explaination.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:51 PM
vht
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You mark the pinion, and the nut and realign the marks when you tighten the nut. There is cheap seals and good seals. If you just ask for a pinion seal, they will give you the cheap one. Make sure you tell them you want the better seal. Also, I have seen a lot of seals replaced for a leak when it wasn't the seal. A lot of times it will leak through the splines and run out around the nut. I put silicone in the splines of the yoke and on the backside of the washer. Make sure your vent is not clogged up too.

Quick Reply: Changed pinion seal still leaking..