Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

tips on removing carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tips on removing carrier?

another torsen 10 bolt issue. So I snapped the drivers side axle and a small piece remains in the carrier. I cannot push it in far enough to remove the c-clip to get the broken piece out. So, I wish to remove the carrier so I can get it on the bench to make it a bit easier, but I cannot get it out. I have followed the instructions in the manual and some online vids from members here, but it wont budge. The 'wedge' is removed, bearing caps are loose so it doesn't come flying off. but I cannot pry this thing out. I have tried tapping with a brass hammer to loosen it, used a pretty big pry bar to pry it out, it won't budge.

Am I missing something? Any thoughts are appreciated..
Old 10-22-2013, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

why dont you just take your good axle and use it to push the broken piece out on the bad side?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

it's a little more complicated than that. The broken piece 'twisted' and broke off, so I can't push it in far enough to remove the c-clip to push it out the other direction, probably because of the way it broke off. I did use the passenger axle to tap the broken piece in as far as I can, but it's just not far enough, make sense? If I can get the carrier out, I can get it on the bench and figure it out, but it's tough working on it up on jack stands.

But back to the original question; How do you break the carrier loose?
Old 10-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like you have a Torsen diff (paddle). I've worked on the Auburn diff and to pry it out you stick the pry bar in one of the windows and lever the diff against the edge of the rear end housing. You may have to use a heavy hammer on the pry bar also. Once it's loose keep track of which shims go where on each side for the reinstall.
Actually it's good its so tight, a looser fit is not good for a strong rear end build.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks Tom. I guess I have to apply a bit more force. I was trying to be careful not to damage anything.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think of it this way. You have 1 axle out, the other axle is "broken" with a piece still in the axle shaft. With the bearing caps off you technically are not held into the housing anymore from the outside rear facing portion. The axle does not wedge or brace itself beyond the axle end (broken) and the carrier so really the only 2 points "holding" it in are the shims pressing on the bearing races which lines it up left to right. The axle itself should have enough space within the axle shaft to move enough to let you slip it all out at an angle. Get a pry bar in from the passenger area side and "pry" it out. Have another person on stand by to catch it or put a big towel or cushion in case it falls out.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

yup, agreed. I will put the bearing caps on loose so it doesn't come flying off, but that's what I am thinking.. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

If you get really desperate? Take the pinion nut and yoke off and hit the pinion gear with a 5lb dead blow. Honestly though without a case spreader they can be a you know what to get out sometimes.

Quick Reply: tips on removing carrier?