Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

'99 Z28 - Rear diff question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '99 Z28 - Rear diff question

I have a couple of questions re: the rear diff in my '99 Z28 M6. I pulled the cover off to change out the fluid, and just have a couple of general questions.

The gear on the left ..... I thought that I read somewhere that this set of teeth is part of the traction control system. But my car does not have traction control. At least, there isn't any on/off button in the car. So, not part of traction control?

In the center of the picture, there is a bolt connected horizontally. I pull that bolt out, and remove that clip it is attached to, and I can pull my axles out? On older cars, that bolt would be holding a pinion shaft .... my car has a Torsion unit so there is a clip instead? Are there "c clips" on the axle ends, or do I just pull that clip out and the axles slide out?

Thanks

Bill
Old 12-23-2013, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reluctor ring to the left of the ring gear is for 3 channel ABS.
For axle removal you pull the horizontal bolt and paddle like you said, under the paddle are the axle 'C' clips. Push in the axles to free the 'C' clips.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the quick response!! I've had the carrier and pinion bearings replaced, and I'm thinking about the axle end bearings. I'd like to do those myself.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:36 PM

if you don't already have one, rent a bearing puller to pull the axle bearings out, and make sure to buy seals too!
Old 12-23-2013, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

AND don't get 'axle saver' bearings,if you do,you may get the axles and c-clips in,but the next time you want to do some kind of service,you won't be able to get the c-clips out.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Launching!

FirstYRLS1Z - are "axle saver" bearings the same as offset bearings, where the bearing surface will ride on a new portion of the axle?

How far can I go into the rear diff without having special tools/skills to put it back together? I'm confident that I can replace the axle bearings, but how about the carrier bearings? Is that just an "unbolt/bolt-in" replacement? Can I remove the Torsion unit without effecting the pinion gears, backlash, crush sleeves and all of that stuff? I've replaced motors and transmissions, do all of my brake and suspension work. But I've never gotten into the differential, so I'm curious how simple they really are.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:55 AM
TECH Veteran

axle saver bearings are offset bearings,they cause the axles to ride further outward thereby eliminating the necessary play in the c-clip area.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:11 AM
TECH Veteran

'Can I remove the Torsion unit without effecting the pinion gears, backlash, crush sleeves and all of that stuff?'
Yes,as long as carrier caps(not interchangeable for position) and shims are put back in their original location.
Carrier bearings require a press for off & on and new carrier bearings COULD affect 'lash'.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
axle saver bearings are offset bearings,they cause the axles to ride further outward thereby eliminating the necessary play in the c-clip area.
why do you need play in the c-clip area?

how much play is ideal / too little / too much ?
Old 01-04-2014, 06:02 AM
TECH Veteran

the c-clips sit in a recess/counterbore,when you remove the Torsens' center block(also called a paddle),the axles have to be pushed inward to expose the c-clips out of the recess/counterbore to be able to remove them. the 'play' is necessary for removal of the c-clips.

Quick Reply: '99 Z28 - Rear diff question