Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

beam going from trans to rearend.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default beam going from trans to rearend.

after installing the 12-bolt rear end I have seem to have either broken or stripped the bolts on this beam. Is there anyone else havin this problem? if so what is a good fix? or if anyone just knows a good fix. Do they make this in an aftermarket piece and if so how much do they run? It's really getting irritating.... someone plz help. Thanks Justin
Old 05-10-2004, 02:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you're talking about is the torque arm...

The reason why you broke it is that the Moser uses 4 shorter bolts instead of 2 long ones like the stocker... those bolts have a tendency to back out, hence breaking the torque arm.

The best thing to do is to A) get a new torque arm, since now is the perfect time to replace it with a better one since the stock one broke on you, and B) from now on be sure to check those bolts often, especially before and after taking it to the track... also make sure that you're coating the threads of the bolts with loctite.

You can also make use of some longer bolts if you want, or some better washers that will dig into the metal on the torque arm to help try to keep it in place.

As for aftermarket torque arms, I think you'd be alright with the Edelbrock unit which I have, which can be had shipped to your door for less than $200. If you want an adjustable one, you could go with BMR which is around $350 shipped... but that's only necessary if you are lowered or plan to be lowered in the future.