Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Torsen diff. slack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Torsen diff. slack?

What is normal for these posi units? Mine does a clunk-a-clunk-a-clunk when I am coasting/decel in 4th/OD (cam surge). It also bumps on the 2-3 shift.
The R/P lash is good and so are the u-joints. Filled with Lucas 85w-140.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

All of mine have done the same.......
Old 01-10-2014, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just wondering the exact same thing. However, mine is buttery smooth, quiet and never makes any sound. The issue that I have is the torque bias to the passenger side. I always seem to have 1 wheel peel and or a 1 legger. I have changed the oil just to see if anything changed, but nada, nothing and zero difference. I guess that I just do now know HOW a torsen is suppose to work and or operate. I am jealous because some people get both wheels to lock up all the time.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cali_bear2003
I was just wondering the exact same thing. However, mine is buttery smooth, quiet and never makes any sound. The issue that I have is the torque bias to the passenger side. I always seem to have 1 wheel peel and or a 1 legger. I have changed the oil just to see if anything changed, but nada, nothing and zero difference. I guess that I just do now know HOW a torsen is suppose to work and or operate. I am jealous because some people get both wheels to lock up all the time.
You may have one of your worm gears messed up. Mine works great, just some "slack" in it. Google Gleason-torsen and it will tell you how it operates.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cali_bear2003
Yours is broken.....time for a new carrier.......
Old 01-25-2014, 07:21 AM
Teching In

02 ws6 m6. 215k. Mine is doing the same also. Has been for quite some time. Now is to the point of banging instead of just cluncking. I was thinking it was a bad/ loose inner pinion bearing, but pulling the cover off, it looks like all the gears are intact. R&P are fine, but there is alot of play between spinning the tire and the ring gear spinning. I can turn the DS and watch the ring turn immediately but it takes a liitle bit before the axles turn. Although the worm gears look good, what could be the issue? I still lock posi, have no whine or clunking at speed, only when coming to a stop

Last edited by Cobra456hp; 01-25-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead for answers. Mine has the slack behavior as described above and mine is very high mileage but it just started acting like this all of a sudden, not gradual that I noticed.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:37 AM
10 Second Club

I had this problem with my 8.8 rear. It was caused by worn spider gears that had alot of slack between themselves and the axle splines. I rebuilt the carrier with new clutches and spider gears. This totally fixed my problem. I realize the torsen is different by design but it may be the same worn parts causing the problem you are having.

Quick Reply: Torsen diff. slack?