Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt/ Clunk and Popping

Old 01-27-2014, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 bolt/ Clunk and Popping

2000 ta cammed/m6

Hey guys, I'm having a issue with my stock 10 bolt. long story short I went out with a buddy to do a couple pulls, no problem. Started the car up a week later to strech her legs and I'm getting this terrible popping noise and you can feel the 'clunk' no grinding at all, I think it is over the passenger tire by the sound of it. Seems to be worst in first gear and on left turns in first, have yet to get past 40mph in case something went wrong (some clunk in 2rd, 3rd but worst in first). Also it has whined for the past couple months but was always fine. Popped the cover off all gear teeth and everything is intact and no shavings. I'm confused as I cant figure this issue out. I have a couple ideas and wanted to see what you'd think or if you have been through this. All input/thoughts are helpful!

I have a couple thoughts.
-torque arm bushing
-trans mount (m6, and i noticed the shifter would rise if i gave it gas)
-u-joint
-pinion bearing
-Maybe a whole rebuild of the 10 bolt, can't afford a 9" or 12 bolt just yet

If anyone has any ideas or thought I would greatly appreciate it! i would love to get this fixed before I buy a house hence while I cant afford a 9" or 12 bolt

EDIT: Car also has 97k miles and ring and pinion were replaced about 20k miles ago.

Last edited by rollinryder; 01-27-2014 at 09:45 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 01-27-2014, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 01-27-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can be any of those. just have to take the time and look at all of them.
Id start by spinning the tires while on jack stands to check the wheel bearings.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Teching In

I did that when I had the cover off. The wheel had no play and weird noise. Only thing I noticed was my ds had about 1/4 inch of slop but I figured it was normal. Thanks I will definitely double check when we get nice weather! (Eff winter)
Old 01-27-2014, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Well, I just ordered the es torque arm bushing for now. I will start there first. Anyone else have any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rollinryder
I did that when I had the cover off. The wheel had no play and weird noise. Only thing I noticed was my ds had about 1/4 inch of slop but I figured it was normal. Thanks I will definitely double check when we get nice weather! (Eff winter)
You should have NO slop in the drive shaft. Where exactly did you find this slop. If it is loose by the pinion joint it could be a U-joint or worse a bad pinion bearing. Take a closer look at the drive shaft. If it is a U-Joint and it has a 1/4" play you are about to lose a shaft, DO NOT DRIVE the car until you get that joint replaced.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:22 PM
Teching In

With the ebrake on and supported on jacks I can move it a 1/4 inch or less it a rotational way. I do not drive since I had the problem. I have rebuilt my t56 myself so perhaps maybe a bolt backed out but I rebuilt over a year ago. Wouldn't a ujoint be more of a vibration through the driveline? Thanks for the response I will definitely get underneath when it warms up to around 50 degrees. Also car was my dd for a year and 3 months. So probably wouldn't hurt with bushing considering it's been Cammed for 20k miles.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Going get under the car today since it will be 45*... anyone else having and ideas or thoughts before I double check?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Teching In

I'll bet it is the drivers side carrier bearing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10 bolt/ Clunk and Popping