Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

guys runing a trutrack come in.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default guys runing a trutrack come in.....

hello...well on my way home the other day my carrier started acting uo....I run a 9 inch with a Detroit locker with 35 spline axles..is anyone out there running a trutrack with 35 spline axle?? just trying to get some feedback on how it drives in the road
Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are considering the Truetrac they are a descent unit, very smooth operatioing, but if you are having problems with a locker the Truetrac probably will fail as well. I would strongly suggest to go to the Strange S-Trac unit. It is a similar helical gear design but made of premium materials and carries a lifetime warranty.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I'v been road course racing a Detroit Gear (now owned by Eaton) Tru-Trak for about 8 years now. I started out with a standard clutch type LSD, and the Tru-Trak is a moderate improvement in performance. There's less push coming out of a high speed corner.

The Torsen T2 is very similar. Torsen had some quality control issues not long ago, but I believe they have that under control now.

Both of these differentials are a non-locking, limited slip modern version of the old Gleason worm gear. There are some important functional advantages over other types of LSD's and locking diffs.

Since there are no clutches, they almost never wear out. Most people just don't run them long enough or hard enough to wear them out. Dodge has been using this type of diff for many years in their diesel trucks. They don't break, and they just don't wear out.

When adjusted properly, they work like any other LSD. If you lose traction on the left, the power is transmitted to the right. Unless there is a complete loss of traction, and then the power goes back to the side without traction. That sounds bad, but it helps maintain control, and slight application of the brake pedal brings power back to the traction side.

With a locker or standard LSD, if you break an axle all the power goes to the other side, and the car can make a hard turn. That's a bad thing. With a worm gear, when you break an axle you just lose all power transmission, and the car rolls to a stop.

Last fall I was racing at Pikes Peak IR. Coming out of turn 10 and heading out into the front stretch, I upshifted to 4th and buried the throttle at about 80mph. The right axle stub broke under full power. Nothing exciting happened; the car rolled safely to a stop where I wanted it to. With a clutch type LSD, the car might have tried to make a right turn. And that's where the wall is.

On the street, it's function is invisible. Even in snow and ice. There's no ratcheting going on like you get with a locker.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

The new 35 spline Truetrac has 5 pinions instead of the usual 4 so I'm not sure how much stonger it is. I know a bunch of people broke the 31 and 33 spline truecrap, not sure how the larger ones hold up. The Wavetrac is only a few hundred more through Brute Speed and comes with a lifetime warranty. That's what I'm going with.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
The new 35 spline Truetrac has 5 pinions instead of the usual 4 so I'm not sure how much stonger it is. I know a bunch of people broke the 31 and 33 spline truecrap, not sure how the larger ones hold up. The Wavetrac is only a few hundred more through Brute Speed and comes with a lifetime warranty. That's what I'm going with.
Thanks, I appreciate it! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 01-28-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

So far I love mine in the 33 spline version. It works silently on the street and has handled drag strip launches this far.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the reasons guys.....looks like I'll be picking up my car tomorrow or Friday....they put in a trutrack I also run 35 spline axles...it's just funny how a locker broke down since they're real string...I'm also going to have a rear end shop look at my my old locker to See what really happen.....

Quick Reply: guys runing a trutrack come in.....