Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Got faked out by seller on gears now Im stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got faked out by seller on gears now Im stuck

So I'm a pretty big NOOB but here goes. I purchased a 94 Z28 and the previous owner said that 3.73s were swapped in. Its an A4. The speedo was off by 12 or 13 at hwy speeds when test driving (speedo faster than I was going) so I figured the gear swap was legit.

NOW here is what I have since confirmed
  • I have actually checked and it has stock 3.23s
  • It has the 1 selector on the A4 shifter
  • It has white faced gauges that read to 150 MPF - I dont know if it came with the 110 or 150 originally.
  • It has vette Y2K wheels so I dont know if it came with Z rated tires originally either.
  • At WOT the trans will bounce off the rev limiter as though it has gears that weren't yet tuned. At normal acceleration it shifts normal.
  • Shifts are HARD, much harder than many others I've ridden in. I assume maybe a tune to firm the shifts was done at some point.

This is where I am stuck. The previous owner said he had a mail in tune by someone, might not true based on the other junk (more than just gear lies), but maybe. I want to know why my speedo is off because I will be getting a tune this month and want to provide all the right info, and I want to get my speedo fixed.

So how can I figure out if:
  1. Previous owner tuned for gears he didn't have.
  2. Previous owner put white 150mph gauges over the top of 110mph gauges without adjusting anything and lived with it.

I've tried to search out an answer and can't find anything that says letter or code xyz in vin mean 110 speedo or otherwise. Plus pulling the gauge cluster and prying off the white gauges right now isn't an option, the car is away in storage for winter and I have the PCM pulled to ship out from last year already.

OK just though of this, would PCM4LEss be able to tell what speedo my PCM is tuned for by seeing if it has the speed limiter?
Old 03-07-2014, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

if its a v6 it would have the 110 speedo. was it swapped to v8 or stock with v8. run the vin to see if its a v6 or not would answer that question.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Its the lt1. I guess several v8s had the 110 in 93-95... anyway I went out and pulled the dash and ends up its a 150mph so I assume its just in the tuning.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

The LT1 cars with 110 on the speedo didn't have Z-rated tires. You could get them two ways. The ones with 110 speedo were speed limited to something like 105 or 110. The ones with Z-rated tires from the factory hauled ***.

Quick Reply: Got faked out by seller on gears now Im stuck