Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Howl after gear install

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been told that it's more important to have the pattern centered root to tip than heel to toe. There have been a few gearsets I've set up that don't match perfectly horizontally and vertically on the tooth but were silent.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
They should be quiet but in the real world hey not everyone has the talent and patience it takes to get them spot on. Personally as long as its a slight noise and nothing loud I won't worry about it. I've owned many many many 10 bolt 7.5 rear cars(15) in my time and all were a little noisy. EVERY single one had 40-70 mph slight gear whine and the hotter the oil got the louder they whined. Good Luck
agreed, not everyone has the talent or patience, but IMO, if you're a shop charging a fee to the poor guy than you should posses that talent and patience otherwise don't charge for the job

FWIW we just installed 3.73's in my Ford 8.8 rear end that I just transferred over to my LS1 now and I only had it out briefly today and only up to about 38mph but I have no noise *knock on wood*
Old 05-04-2014, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by frack
Update.

Was able to drive a little more and really pinpoint when the gears begin to whine and when they stop. They for sure, only begin to whine when the car is not under load. Only when you let up on pedal. Also, it only starts after you have reached about 40 mph. Below that you just cant hear it. I took my car back to the guys at the shop that put them in and the 2 techs who worked on my car said they checked and double checked preload and backlash and they said the gears were within specs. The veteran tech said he has done countless f-bodies with 10 bolts and he said Richmond and Motives with some cars just make more noise than a stock GM gear and pinion! Should I be satisfied with this or should I buy another set of gears. I will admit at first it was annoying, but I have never had a F-body that was quite. I mean, there is always something that is making noise in these things. Will the noise get worse and will it begin to break **** sooner or later?
No big deal, I wouldn't worry about it a bit.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, after about 700 miles on the new gears I have replaced rear end cover to try and stop a small leak. Seems that it slowed it down, but did not stop leak completely. I can tell you that gears have gotten much louder. Maybe not louder, but instead of a whine it has more of metal on metal or hollow sound on acceleration. Of course the shop who has installed this ****, will not make good on there work. So my advice to anyone wanting to have them installed, MAKE sure the shop you take them to knows what the **** they are doing. I didn't, but have read enough about it now, that I would of done a better ******* job than a so called performance shop!!
Old 07-10-2014, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if they howl on accel thats def not good. If you would make a drive to the east cost. Lashway or Superior Transmissions in boca will get you going nicely. Brand of the gears matters a lot too I didnt see where you said what brand you used but if you want the quietest 3.73s go for AAM Yukon or Motive Blue box in that order.

Quick Reply: Howl after gear install