Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

casualty of a ten bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default casualty of a ten bolt?

Long story short I was on the highway one of the few times I take my car to work and it started to whine, at first I was like, ok road noise. Then it became a scream mostly inside the cabin. sounds like a howl at highway speeds or untill it gets warmed up in city driving. I suspect my differential is on its way out but not sure. Not to much experience with these but is there something I can check before I start looking to replace? Thanks sorry this post isnt very informative but It is all the info I have right now, noise does not change with turns, seems to be only speed/heat related it is a m6 99 z28 no mods besides Lid, catback, subframe connectors, and a strut tower brace, never given me a big issue before?
Old 05-06-2014, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the diff oil level, you probably let it get low.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Teching In

thanks for the tip, just got out from under her the fluid level is fine, was clean and red? hope thats what it supposed to be like haha tomorrow I have an apt to take it in and see what they thing hope its nothing crazy
Old 05-07-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Could be pinion bearing. Mine sounded like a supercharger strapped to the rear axle when it went.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Update, it was the pinion bearing, the supercharger description is perfect, exactly what it sounded like. Local shop is doing throwing a rebuild kit at it, caught it just before it ate my carrier. the new guts are warrantied for a year which is one less thing I have to worry about. Thanks for the suggestion and better description of the noise
Old 05-08-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

If they haven't already started, I highly recommend the Ratech solid pinion spacer.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
If they haven't already started, I highly recommend the Ratech solid pinion spacer.
What does that do or help to do?
Old 05-09-2014, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm in the process of installing in a 4.10 gear now, so I'm interested in knowing this too.
I'm assuming it's in place of the crush sleeve? What're the benefits?
Old 05-09-2014, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I found some good information on some other forums (to answer my own question) on the solid spacer. My only remaining question is - does anyone know if it still takes 200-400 ft/lbs to get to the right rotational resistance of the pinion as it is to crush the crush sleeve?

the solid spacer is reusable, and you dont have to keep checking the preload with every turn of the torque wrench. to get the proper length, set the rear up with a crush sleeve like you normaly would, then pull it apart and measure the chrushed length and have a olid spacer made to the same length. your done.

The crush sleeve fits between the two sets of pinion bearings. It's job is to hold tension between them.

These pinion bearings look like front wheel bearings, and can't be too tight or too loose. With a crush sleeve, you simply torque it on, and it crushes to keep from getting the bearings too tight. Only problem, with severe use, it can become further crushed, and all the tension on the bearings is lost.

A solid pinion spacer eliminates this problem... but you can't just slide it in and blindly crank the nut on tight. If the spacer is too thick, the bearings will be too tight, too thin, and they will be too loose. For this reason, the spacer comes on the thin side, and a pack of shims is included to get it 'just right'.

The spacer is first installed on the 'thin' side, and shims are slowly added until the bearing preload is right... which can be either measured with a calibrated hand or in-lb torque wrench. Oh, it's not necessarily a good idea to just measure the thickness of the used crush sleeve and use that for the spacer. Starting a little shy of that measurement is a good starting point, but that method is NOT foolproof.

I always use solid spacers when setting up 8"-9" Ford rears. As a bonus, the pinion yoke can be taken off and on with no worries.

Good Luck!
Old 05-09-2014, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

The biggest thing is it prevents the fatigue that sets in with a standards crush sleeve. When things start moving around you kill the bearings. For less than $20 there is no reason not too if you have it apart.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

The biggest thing is it prevents the fatigue that sets in with a standards crush sleeve. When things start moving around you kill the bearings. For less than $20 there is no reason not too if you have it apart.
Thanks, I'll be doing this to mine when I do my gears.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Does the arp main stub cap bolts help a lil but on life for the 10 bolt or are they a waste of time and money?
Old 05-12-2014, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be pinion bearing. Mine sounded like a supercharger strapped to the rear axle when it went.
Made me LOL.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cyberkill
I found some good information on some other forums (to answer my own question) on the solid spacer. My only remaining question is - does anyone know if it still takes 200-400 ft/lbs to get to the right rotational resistance of the pinion as it is to crush the crush sleeve?
The Ratech instructions state 125 ftlbs torque on the pinion nut IIRC. Set it up with a slip fit new set-up bearing and old pinion nut with the self locking feature ground off. There's alot of trial and error assembly with a solid spacer kit to get the rolling torque correct. I found out the hard way that if you use old bearings as a set-up bearings for the solid spacer when you do the final install with new bearings the rolling torque will be off by alot.

Originally Posted by pewtered'Z
Does the arp main stub cap bolts help a lil but on life for the 10 bolt or are they a waste of time and money?
The ARP stud kit helps and for $25 it's well worth it in my opinion. I had them on my 10 bolt.

Quick Reply: casualty of a ten bolt?