Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

MWC Driveshaft Too Short???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Default MWC Driveshaft Too Short???

I called MWC to order a new 3" steel driveshaft. I told them the application and that I was using a stock aluminum driveshaft with 40 7/8" bearing center-to-center. They said that's all the info they needed. I unboxed the new DS and was thrilled with the quality (it's built by Strange). Then I laid the stock driveshaft next to the new one and I see the new one is 5/8" too short. I'm about to puke. I guess they didn't factor in that the 1350 yoke is shorter than the stock S44 yoke. Am I going to have enough spline engaged with the trans? Let me know what you guys think. I guess I'll go ahead and install the DS and see how short it really is.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, with the yoke pushed all the way into the trans I have 1 1/8" clearance between the rear universal & the pinion flange. Clearly that's more than I had before but it seems like there is plenty of spline engagement in the trans. Maybe I was lucky in that the stock DS was almost too long with the 8.8 rear.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Although you were asked for the trans seal to center of rear joint measurement, and you just gave us a center to center to use this is what happens. Most driveshaft manufacturers will setup shafts with 1" of slip, but we like to see a bit less with the f-body cars. As long as you have the yoke all the way through the tailshaft bushing at ride height all is good.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, but you guys told me the C-to-C dimension was all you needed. If you didn't have enough information to fill the order then why go ahead with it? I'm sure this isn't the first time you replaced an S44 yoke with a 1350. Anyway, the driveshaft is beautiful and I'm going to adjust my LCA's up 1/8" so I have 1" slip.

Quick Reply: MWC Driveshaft Too Short???